Chapter 23 - Secrets

Words: 1.49k

(Peter will be back in the next chapter)

"Mr. Gillingham is leaving today yes?" Charlotte asked Mary as she nodded. "Good."

"Why? Do you have anything against Mr. Gillignham?" Mary spat. Charlotte wasn't sure if she should tell Mary what was going on with Anna, it wasn't her story to tell.

"No, just wondering." Charlotte said standing up to greet Tom and Sybbie.

"Where is Uncle Peter?" Sybbie asked, as Charlotte held out her hands so Tom could give the toddler to her.

"He's in America right now. He's driving car's in America." Charlotte joked poking Sybbie in the side. "He's working in America."

"I miss Peter, I need to talk cars with someone," Tom also joked, "when is he getting back?"

"Two weeks from Friday. I was thinking of going into London tomorrow to pass some time actually. Keep my mind off my Peter."

"You're going to London? Can I come?" Rose asked, as Cora sighed but nodded.

"Alright, you can come, but you have to stay with me the whole day." Charlotte said as Rose smiled in excitement.

"What are you even doing in London?" Edith asked.

"I'm going to grab some of Peter's things sent from America. Then going out to dinner with Poppy Fairgrave." Charlotte said as Cora smiled.

"Poppy. I didn't know she was still in London. I thought she moved to Ireland." Robert said looking down from the paper.

"Why do you want to go to London Rose?" Mary asked. Watching Rose practically jumping out of her seat.

"I just want a change of scenery. Oh Charlotte what am I supposed to do while you're at dinner?" Rose asked.

"My aunt Rosamnd lives close. You'll have dinner with her." Charlotte says, as Rose groans. "It's either that or staying home."

"Fine." Rose sighs.

"Rose, let's go!" Charlotte yelled up the stair to her cousin. Charlotte had the whole day planned out and wasn't about to delay her plans.

"I'm ready!" Rose said posing at the top of the stairs. Charlotte rolled her eyes and gestured for her to hurry.

"We have three hours to get to London. One hour to pick up Peter's things and then we can shop around for a couple hours before I meet with Poppy."

"What is all this?" Rose asked, carrying a couple bags. "This is heavy. What does Peter have stashed in these?"

"Some of his tools and files back from America apparently." Charlotte said, reading through the letter Peter had sent with his things.

"Come on, there are people who will take the other bags and boxes. Let's go shopping!" Rose pleaded. 

"Rose. I told you we needed to grab these. It will only take a few minutes." Charlotte muttered signing the papers quickly and grabbing a couple bags. 

"Milady?" Charlotte hears over her head. She quickly spun around to see James in front of her. 

"James? What are you doing here?" Charlotte asks, looking to Rose to make sure she was still present. 

"I was doing some errands for Mrs. Patmore and saw you." He says taking the bags out of her and Rose's hands. 

"Oh, thank you." Charlotte says watching James haul them to the car. "Are you done with the errands?" James nods and holds a few envelopes, "well then would you like to accompany us for the rest of the day?"