Chapter 14 - Girls Night Out

"Nothing for me sir?" Anna said, as Mr. Carson handed the mail to everyone around the dinner table.

"No Anna. Unfortunately, nothing for you." He said, as she sighed, but nodded. Charlotte knew that no news from Mr. Bates was torture. She wanted to try and cheer her up.

"Anna can I have a word?" Charlotte mumbled, trying not to cause any attention, walking to the shoe shining room. "I'm so sorry about the no mail. I want to try and make it better."

"There's nothing you can really do to make it better my lady," Anna said, "I really do appreciate the thoughts but my husband's in jail. What can anyone do."

"Why don't I take you out to lunch? We can have a picnic out in the square, just us girls." Charlotte offered, as Anna smiled and nodded.

"That sounds nice." Anna said, making Charlotte smile.

"Okay, we'll have a nice luncheon in the square at around two and then go on a walk." Charlotte said, as Anna nodded and left to go dress Lady Mary for breakfast. Charlotte made her way to the dinning hall for breakfast as well.

"Good morning dear." Robert said giving Charlotte a kiss on the forehead.

"Why don't you eat in bed?" Charlotte asked, referring to Edith.

"Because I'm not married, what difference does it make? Besides I like to be up and about." Edith sighed.

"Tennessee is going to ratify the nineteenth amendment." Robert said, as Charlotte sighed and put her head in her hands. She hated talking about politics with her father. 

"I'm not hungry and more . I'm going to go for a walk." Charlotte declared before quickly walking to the front door, where Peter was. "Thank goodness. Come with me." Charlotte grabbed his hand and dragged with her.

"What's going on?" Peter laughed, confused at what was going on.

"My father is talking with Matthew about Politics. Save me please." Charlotte pouted, as Peter smiled and kissed the pout off her face.

"Peter Parker, to the rescue." He joked, as Charlotte leaned up to kiss him again. "I wanted to come over to ask you to lunch tomorrow." He said, in between kisses.

"I would love to but... I'm spending the day with Anna. She hasn't had any letters from Mr. Bates, so I wanted to cheer her up." Charlotte said, as Peter nodded in understatement.

"Do you need a ride?" He asked, as Charlotte smiled, happy that he understood.

"Sure, but other than that." She said, but was cut off by Peter.

"No boys. I got it." He said playfully saluting as Charlotte laughed.

"Anna, the car is waiting out front for us." Charlotte said, to Anna who was sitting in the servants hall with most of the servants. "Sorry to bother you all." She said feeling bad that everyone bad to stand up for her.

"I'll be right up." Anna said, running to her room to.grab a purse. Charlotte nodded and went back up to wait for her.

"Where to exactly?" Peter asked, jumping out of the drivers seat Tom greet his fiance.

"Just centre square park. What will you do?" Charlotte asked, as Peter shrugged.

"I think I may go wedding suit shopping." He smirked.

"I'm ready." Anna said, as Peter nodded and opened the door for her to get in the back with Charlotte. "I've never sat in the back before."

"It's not that exciting really. I sometimes wish I could dot in the front and see how one drives a car, but papa won't allow me." Charlotte sighed.

"Well you have status. That's why, I'm sure." Anna said, trying to comfort her.

"I suppose." Charlotte said, as Peter started the car and drove down the driveway.

"Mrs. Patmore prepared sandwiches, pickles, and some desserts, so we should be full." Anna said, as you smiled. You where really going to miss Mrs. Patmores cooking when you moved out.

"I better enjoy her cooking. I mean Ms
Taneryl is a great cook, but I mean I've grown up with Mrs. Patmores cooking."

"I'll make sure to send some food down once in a while." Anna said as Charlotte gasped.

"We're here ladies." Peter said stopping the car and opening the door for the women. "Have fun." He said, as Charlotte nodded and leaned up on her tiptoes to give him a quick kiss before running after Anna.

(Words 733)