Chapter 17 - Cricket

(Words 1297)
SO cute! I loved the cricket match, so I hope you loved this chapter. BTW I'm not ready for the last episode. I've written it for my other book and it wrecked me. So get ready for that.

"Do you think he'll be well enough to play cricket?" Charlotte asked the doctor as he examined Peter for the last time.

"I think so. It has been a month. I think the exercise will be good for you Mr. Parker. I do hope to see you on the field." Doctor Clarkson said, leaving to let Peter button up his shirt.

"Mr. Carson went to examine the field this morning. Everyone's getting excited. I'm glad that you can play." Charlotte said, buttoning up the last button of his shirt.

"Who am I playing with then? the house of the village?" Peter asked standing up.

"The house. We're marrying in three weeks. You're practically part of the house." Charlotte said, leading him out to the car.

"I know, I just feel bad because I technically don't live there, and won't live there. "

"The board discussed the matter, they all agreed to let you play with the house." Charlotte said, as they both got into the car and sped back to the abbey.

"What's that you're so glued to?" Mary asked her sister who was sitting in the library.

"This weeks column. I've got to send it off tomorrow." Edith said, showing off the column to Mary. "Oh Peter! How did the appointment go."

"I'm all clear to play cricket with the house team. So I would say pretty good." Peter said jumping to the opposite couch.

"That's wonderful! I'm glad you're recovering well." Mary said, before glaring at Edith. "What's your article about?"

"The poor soldiers. How many are reduced to begging on the streets. And some officers are working as dance partners in nightclubs. After the trenches, even the Embassy Club must seem an improvement." Edith said, as Mary clenched her Jaw.

"You shouldn't make fun of them." Matthew said, as Mary rolled her eyes.

"She's forgetting that you were in the trenches and she wasn't." Mary said, glaring daggers into Edith's side.

"Why don't I take you and Tom out to practice after luncheon?" Matthew asked, as Tom nodded. He wasn't going to tell Matthew that he had played cricket basically all his life.

"No thanks. I'd like to help. But I've never played a game of cricket my life. Oddly, the game was never part of my childhood." Tom said.

"But couldn't you try?" Robert asked as Cora hit him on the shoulder.

"Robert. Don't be such a bully. Let's just have a nice luncheon." She said, giving Tom a sympathetic look. 

"Rose is coming right after luncheon I was wondering if you would take her to Whitby on Wednesday when they have their market. She'd really enjoy that." Cora said, as Edith sighed.

"I can't. I'm going to London on Wednesday." Edith said, as some one quickly cut her off.

"Oh can I come?" A young girl asked, causing everyone to whip around to see Rose standing in the door.

"Oh but you only just got here. I thought you hated London?" Cora said, as Rose scrunched her face up and shook her head.

"Who told you that?" Rose asked.

"Susan."

"Darling Mummy." Rose chuckled, as everyone sat there un-amused.

"Well should I correct her?" Cora asked, as Rose face dropped.

"Oh no. She's right, really. But I'm planning a surprise for her and I need to go to London to arrange it. You won't give me away, will you?" She asked as Charlotte sighed and motioned for Peter to follow her and allow her old siblings and parents to deal with it.

"It's hard to believe that we're the same age, but act so different." Charlotte whispered to Peter, careful not to raise her voice so anyone could hear her.

"I'm proud of who you've become you know. You're so mature, and selfless. It's amazing." Peter said, un-tucking Charlotte's chair and gesturing for her to sit down.

"I'm proud of you too. You've come so far and changed your life for me. I love you, you know?" Charlotte said, as Peter smiled and nodded.

"I love you too." Peter said, before chuckling. "Did I tell you that I used to play cricket like everyday until I moved here." He said, watching Charlotte. Who had a look of surprise plastered across her face.

"Why did you let Matthew ask?" Charlotte asked, as Peter shrugged.

"I didn't want to embarrass him. It's not that big of a deal anyway. I'll pretend I don't know how to play, but don't tell him." Peter said, as Charlotte rolled her eyes but nodded. Everyone else came in to eat lunch shortly after, still talking about plans with Rose.

A hour or so after luncheon Tom, Matthew, and Peter went out to the field. Peter had held out as long as he could to step up to bat. As he took a swing, both Matthew and Peter spun around to gape at him.

"You never told me you could play!" Matthew exclaimed as Tom ran to get the ball.

"You never asked." Peter said, holding out his hand to catch the ball. "It's no big deal."

"We'll surely win now!" Tom said, as they all laughed.

The next day everyone was on the edge of there seat, the match was tight, the house team was losing by a mere 20 points, and it was Peter's turn to bat. He was the last batter.

"Go Peter!" Charlotte cheered from the side lines, as Peter turned as blew her a over dramatic kiss, to which Charlotte rolled her eyes. Peter had ended up getting the team 30 points, which meant that the house team had won!

As soon as Peter scored the last point Charlotte ran onto the field and jumped into his arms to hug him.  The house team hadn't won in a few years. This was exciting. he picked her up and spun her around a few times before pressing a  kiss to her cheek.

"I'll be right back." Peter said, as Charlotte nodded and watched him run to Robert and Matthew.

"He'll make a good addition to the family." Violet said to Charlotte who was watching Peter in admiration. "He's also rich so that helps."

"Grand-mama, that's not what important." Charlotte said, as her grandmother rolled her eyes. "Why did you marry grandpa?"

"For his money, but stayed with him out of love just like your parents." Violet said, smiling as Peter came running back. "Congratulations on the win Peter." She said, as Peter leaned down and kissed her on the cheek.

"Thank you. Do you mind if I take her?" Peter asked as she nodded. "What were you talking about?"

"About my grandfather and how she married for money but then fell in love." Charlotte chuckled.

"That's not the case for us is it?" Peter asked, as Charlotte shook her head.

"Of course not. I know so many other men who are richer than you, no offense. I'm marrying you for your heart." She said, placing her hand over his heart as Peter leaned down and pressed a kiss to her lips.

"I'm the youngest. I'm allowed to marry for love." Charlotte said, looking over to her eldest sister who was holding little Sybie in her arms with Matthew next to her. She was happy she had found him.

"So you would marry me if I was as poor as a beggar?" Peter asked.

"I highly doubt we would meet if you were a beggar, but yes. I probably would." Charlotte said, walking over to the rest of the family. "Are you glad that you won?" Charlotte asked her father who was beaming.

"Yes, quite glad. We haven't won in years." Robert said, shaking Peter's hand. "I'm so glad that you chose to play with us." Robert chuckled before going to shake Carson's hand.