Chapter 13 - Stick Together

"What else had Matthew decided for my family?" Robert asked walking in to the lunch that Mrs. Crawley was throwing for Cora and the girls.

"Robert?" Cora asked, surprised to see her husband talk to Mrs Crawley in such a rude manner.

"Don't worry, I don't need to be fed. We're going . All of you. Now." Robert said opening the door, as the girls looked at each other in confusion.

"What are you talking about Papa?"Charlotte asked.

"Do you know who has prepared this luncheon for you?" Robert asked, as Cora nodded.

"Ethel, yes. Out former housemaid." She said, taking a sip of her tea.

"Who became pregnant before marriage!" Robert proclaimed, as Cora sighed. 

"Robert, Ethel has rebuilt her life." Mrs. Crawley said, but Robert just scoffed.

"Has she? Do you know what she has built it into?" Robert said.

"I think cousin Robert is referring to Ethel's work as a prostitute." She said, as the room went silent. Charlotte and Mary where both silently looking at each other. They could both feel the tension between their parents.

"Well of course, you know, these days servants are very hard to find." Cora says, as Charlotte covers her mouth to stifle a laugh.

"I don't think you understand the difficulties she's had to face." Mrs. Crawley says.

"I could care less how she earns her living! Good Luck to her! What I care abous is that you exposed our family to scandal!" He says opening the door again. "We're leaving." He sais, but no one moved from their seats.

"It seems like a shame to waste such a good pudding." Violet said, as Robert huffed and looked to his daughters one last time, but none of them would look him in the eye, meaning they where staying with their mother.

"So, how have wedding plan's been going?" Mrs. Crawley asked as Charlotte cleared her throat.

"We've picked out most of the main details, now it's just the small things like flowers and the food. I'm also going to go wedding dress shopping, I was wondering if you all would like to come with me?" Charlotte asks, as all the women nod.

"That sounds like a wonderful time, we'll all be there!" Violet said.

After the Luncheon, Charlotte get's dropped off at Peter's estate to spend the rest of the day.

"Is Peter there?" Charlotte asked, to the butler who had opened the door for her. 

"He's in the backyard madam. I'll escort you." Jameson said, as Charlotte quickly interrupted him.

"Oh no need, I can make it back there myself." Charlotte said, as he nodded watching her skip around to the backyard. She quickly found Peter playing a game of mini-golf, and wanted to surprise him. She waited until his back was facing her to sneak up behind him and cover his eyes.

"Guess who?"

"My beautiful fiance?" Peter said, as Charlotte giggled and let her hands fall from his eyes and wrap her arms around his neck as he turned around.

"I just want to spend the rest of the day with you, if that's alright?" Charlotte asked as Peter nodded and kissed her cheek.

"Of course, make yourself at home. I was just bored, but now that you're here.." He said, dropping his golf club and picking her up spinning her around.

"I was having lunch at Isobel's when papa came in and told us about the cook Ethel. Apparently she gave birth before marriage, he was furious and demeaned that we leave." Charlotte said sitting down next to Peter on a bench.

"But because you mother is mad at your father, she wouldn't?" Peter asked, as she nodded and sighed.

"I hate when they fight. It makes it so weird for everyone." 

"Well hopefully they can make up in time for the wedding. For everyone's sake." Peter said watching Charlotte. He found her astonishing, she was so strong for her family, he hadn't seen her shad a tear since the night of Sybils death. "Hopefully the wedding would help there relationship." 

(Short little chapter to move things along)

(Words 684)