Chapter 2 - Morning Showers

"Mary and Matthew made it to the train station this morning." Robert said as Charlotte sat down beside her father. "How did you sleep last night Peter?"

"One of the best sleeps in my life," Peter said sitting next to Charlotte, "when do they get back?"

"Two weeks, thank goodness. I don't think I could stand more of there lovey dovey behavior." Charlotte said as Robert chuckled. "Where's Edith?"

"She went to go see Sir Anthony Strallan again." Robert said rolling his eyes. Charlotte could tell her father didn't like Edith and Anthony together, he thought he was way to old and boring for her. So did everyone else quite frankly. 

"Well, I'm going to London today and probably tomorrow to finish up some business, so please don't expect me for luncheon or dinner." Peter said standing up as Charlotte stood up as well.

"May I come with you to London? I have to go shopping and it'll save time?" She asked as Peter smiled at her and nodded.

"I would love for you to accompany me." He said as she thanked him and sat back down. "We're leaving in half an hour, so please be ready by then." He said as she nodded.

"You and Peter would make a handsome couple you know." Robert said as Charlotte blushed but hushed her father.

"Papa!" She whispered, hoping Peter hadn't heard her fathers comment. "Don't say that so loud." She said as Robert chuckled and stood up.

"I'll see you at dinner." He said pressing a kiss to the top of her head, and left.

"Mr. Carson, will you ask Mrs. Patmore to pack a lunch for me and  Mr. Parker?" Charlotte asks as Carson nods and looks at Alfred, the footman, who nods and goes down the the kitchen.  "I'll be down in twenty minutes. Please have my coat ready?" Charlotte asked standing up as Mr. Carson nodded and opened the door for her.

As soon as she went upstairs the new maid was already there waiting for her. "Hello, you must be the new maid. I'm Charlotte." Charlotte said as the maid smiled and curtsied.

"Amelia, milady."

"Well, welcome Amelia." Charlotte said as Amelia smiled and thanked her.

"Now I hear you're going out for the whole day, let's get you changed." Twenty minutes later Charlotte had changed and started making her way downstairs, only to see Peter waiting for her.

"Well, you look rather dashing." Charlotte said surprising, causing him to turn around and watch Charlotte skip down the stairs.

"Well I am discussing business, so I figured I should dress for the occasion." He said as Charlotte nodded and took a hold of his bow tie and straightened it.

"Well, we should be off." Charlotte said as Mr. Carson helped her put her fur coat.  "Please tell Papa, that I'll be back before dinner." She said as Mr. Carson nodded, when they got to the car, Peter held out his hand for Charlotte hold to step into the car.

"Thank you." She said blushing before sitting down as Peter smiled and nodded before stepping in and closing the door. Once they got to the train station Peter got out first and held out his hand for Charlotte to take.

"I'm in the middle class cart, so I'll see you when we're in London." Peter said as Charlotte kept a grip on his hand.

"No, come sit up at the front with me. I insist, give your ticket to someone in lower class." She said as he smiled and nodded, he quickly went to go give his ticket to someone else before returning. "I found an older lady to give the ticket to." He said sitting across form Charlotte in there private cart.

"That's awfully  kind of you." She said as she poured him a cup of tea, that was recently brought to them. "Have you ever been to London?" She asked as Peter shook his head no, while taking a sip of his tea. "Well, I think you're going to love it." She said as they both smiled at each other as the train jerked forward.

"Well, this is where we split, isn't it?" Peter asked helping Charlotte out of the train cart, as she nodded. "It was a pleasure." Peter said bowing as Charlotte smiled and curtsied, before making her way to the north exit where all the shops where.

After four of five hours of shopping and having tea with aunt Rosamund, Charlotte finally started to make her way back to the train station, dinner was in three hours and she still needed to get changed.

"Hello? I'm home!" She said as Carson helped take her jacket off, but no one seemed to notice her return.

"I'm afraid they all went outside milady, but they'll be back soon." Carson said as Charlotte nodded.

"Well could you send up Amelia please?" She asked before making her way upstairs. A few moments later Amelia entered with a few frocks for Charlotte to try on.

"So how was the train ride with Mr. Parker?" Amelia asked as she smiled and playfully rolled her eyes.

"It was fine, we talked for a bit about our childhood on the ride to the station, but besides that, nothing else was really said." Charlotte said as Amelia smiled.

"The servants down below can't stop talking about you too, how you'll make a handsome couple and have beautiful children." Amelia says as Charlotte gasps but laughs, causing Amelia to laugh as well.

"Don't worry, I won't rat you out." Charlotte said as Amelia laughed and curtsied, before moving onto Charlotte's hair. Twenty minutes later Charlotte was dressed and making her way down the stairs to the sitting room, where everyone was already waiting.

"There you are. We were wondering when you would come down." Robert said standing up and kissing Charlotte on the cheek, as Tom also stood up and nodded.

"I got back around half an hour ago, but non of you where here so, I took a little bit longer getting ready. Where's Sybil?" She asked sitting beside Tom, as he handed her a drink.

"She's laying down, the doctor put her on bed rest this morning." Tom said as Charlotte nodded and took a sip of the drink, only to choke to realize it was whiskey. "Sorry, I thought you would want it after the traveling." Tom said as she nodded and quickly shot the rest of the liquid back.

"Calm down dear, don't use all your energy." Violet said as Charlotte smirked and set the glass down and stood up to hug her grandmother. "Where's Mr. Parker?" She said looking around for Peter.

"Oh, he's in London for the rest of the day. He'll be here for supper tomorrow though." Charlotte said as Violet hummed and sat down next to Cora. "I'm sure he would of stayed if he knew you where coming dinner."

"It's alright, he's discussing business I presume. I would of sent him off myself." She said as Charlotte smiled and chuckled.