Chapter 31- Undercover

Words: 1.3k 

Warnings: angst, planning. BTW this chapter was a pain to write, so much dialogue and i can't type fast enough to keep up with the show XD

"Bates during your time away, did you ever meet a man who could copy someone's writing?" Robert asked, pacing the library

"Do you mean a forger, My Lord?" Bates asked as Robert nodded, "what would he be required to do?" 

"We have to gain entry into someone's flat, so the porter needs to be told to unlock the door. The order will come in the form of a signed note," Peter explained this time since it was his plan. 

"I see. I assume we have a sample of this person's writing?" Bates asked, as Charlottes nodded and handed him a letter. 

"He sent a bread and butter letter after out party the other night." 

"Then I can definitely get it done," Bates stated. 

"how long would it take?" Robert asked. 

"If I can have the letter straight away, I believe I can supply the letter by the end of the afternoon," Bates said, as Charlotte and Rose shared a look. 

"So the man is here in London?" Peter asked.

"He is my lord."

"What a stroke of luck," Robert muttered, "I know this sounds rather dodgy Bates, but I promise there is nothing underhand in what we are trying to achieve, Quite the reverse." 

"Your word is enough for me my lord," Bates said, taking the letter and bowing before leaving. Charlotte quickly followed Mr. Bates. 

"Mr. Bates!" Charlotte called, as he stopped and turned around. "It's you, right? The forager is you?" Mr. Bates just smiled and held a finger over his mouth before descending down the stairs to the basement. 

"Of course I understand why the letter must be recovered, I don't see why it has to involve me," Mary sighed, pouring herself a cup of tea. 

"Someone has to fetch the letter whilst we distract Sampson," Robert explained. 

"Can't Rose go? Charlotte?" 

"On her own? Have a heart, and I wouldn't dare send your sister out in her condition." 

"Well you then?" Mary asked sitting across from him. 

"I'm the one hosting the card game! The question is, who else can play? Obviously me and Peter, nut at least one of them has to be genuine, or it'll smell fishy, " Robert sighed. 

"Tony Gillingham would come, but I suppose we'd have to tell him." Cora said, as Rose chirped up. 

"I know who'd play and bring Sampson with him and we wouldn't have to say a word. Lord Aysgarth," Rose said as Peter winced.