Chapter 3 - Awkward Feelings

"Milady, Mr. Parker's train just pulled and he'll be back very soon." Carson said to Charlotte who was in the library reading.

"Thank you Carson. I'll be out waiting for him." She said, as he nodded and held the door open for her as she walked out to the front of the house to see the car making it's way down the drive. Charlotte smiled and held her hands behind her back watching the car come to a stop right in front of her eyes, and Peter stepping out of the vehicle.

"You didn't have to come greet me." Peter said smirking as Charlotte shrugged.

"It feel nice to feel noticed, trust me I know." Charlotte said as Peter sent her a questioning look. "I have two older sisters who have always been a bit more needy than me. I'm used to the feeling of not being in the spotlight." She said looking at Peter who had a small look of sympathy written on his face.

"All I ever got when I was a kid was attention. I was an only child and when my parents died my aunt and uncle made sure to give me lots of love." He said as she smiled, happy that he still remembers such happy times.

"Sybil is the only one I really truly got along with. Mary and Edith were to busy fighting with each other to make much time for me, but it doesn't look like I missed much." Charlotte said as they both laughed and stopped in the dinning room for luncheon.

"Did you make any big deals in London?" Robert asked as Peter nodded.

"Yes, I've arranged for a shop in London, and a shop closer to Downton for the village." Peter said as Charlotte looked at him, confused.

"Why the village, there are only a few cars on this side of the country." Charlotte asked as Peter smiled. 

"Well the assembly of the cars will be in the village and then the sales will happen in London," Peter said, "I'll be working in the village."

"Did you know about this Robert?" Cora asked as Robert nodded.

"I sold him the building. He told me to keep it a secret." Robert said as Peter chuckled and looked at Charlotte who was also chuckling, he was admiring her from across the table. He noticed her dimples when she smiled, the way her eye brows scrunched together when she was confused or angry, and how she couldn't stand her two eldest sisters. He had only seen Charlotte and Mary together once, but that was enough to sense the tension.

Out of the corner of her eye Charlotte could see Peter looking at her, she quickly looked at him and smiled, causing him to look away from her and blush. 

"Well that's wonderful news Peter, let's celebrate!" Cora said holding up a glass of champagne. "To Peter, and his new life in London!" Cora said as we all raised our glasses.

"Thank you," Peter said, "I was wondering if you'd like to accompany me tomorrow to look for an estate around the area?" 

"I would love to. Are we doing anything tomorrow mama?" Charlotte asked as Cora shook her head no. "Okay then it's a date." She said as they both smiled and blushed at the word 'date'. 

"So he basically asked you out?" Amelia said as Charlotte rolled her eyes, but nodded as Amelia helped her get ready for bed. "He's quite handsome. Don't you think?" She asked.

"Of course I think he's handsome. It's just that we come from too complete different worlds." Charlotte says sighing. "I like Peter, but I don't know if he's willing to change. Or if I'm willing to change."

"Well, In my opinion. People tend to change there views when in love. You think different when your alone, when your with someone you think of them when making decisions. It's just part of growing up." Amelia said as Charlotte sighed.

"I know, I basically had to raise myself. I know how to think of others.  I've been trying to work on thinking for myself instead of just for others." Charlotte said, as Amelia laughed a little.

"You're just the perfect lady then." She said making Charlotte laugh.

"Thank you Amelia. I really needed a good laugh."

"I hope it is okay that I asked Charlotte out tomorrow." Peter said sitting across from Robert, drink in hand.

"Of course it's okay. You know how long I've wanted you too to get married. You're perfect for each other." Robert said handing Peter a cigarette.

"Yes, you only mentioned four hundred times last time you where in New York." Peter said as they both chuckled. "I do enjoy her company, so we'll see how tomorrow goes."

"You have my blessing you know." Robert said, causing Peter to choke on his drink.

"Pardon."

"You have my blessing for marriage. You should be lucky, so many people have asked for Charlotte's hand, but I turned them down because Charlotte wouldn't be happy with them, but I believe she would be happiest with you Peter." Robert said as Peter smiled and nodded. 

"Well, I think I"m going to bed now. Goodnight." Robert said, as Peter smiled and quickly nodded, leaving Peter to think about what Robert had just said.

Would he and Charlotte be Happy together?