Chapter 15 - Deep

(Warnings: Blood)

"So, no news from Mr. Bates?" Charlotte asked, taking a sip of punch, as Anna sighed and shook her head no.

"No, nothing. Which is unusual, he's always so open." Anna said, as Charlotte patted Anna on the back.

"I'm sorry. That's terrible. Do you want me to ask Papa to look into it?" Charlotte asked.

"I already have. Nothings happened." She said, tears welling up in the corners of her eyes.

"Murry's working hard on his case. He'll get him out." Charlotte confidentiality said.

"I sure hope so," Anna said standing up. "Now, we've been out here for hours. We'd better go back to Mr. Parker." 

"Alright." Charlotte sighed, sad that she couldn't help any more. As they approached the car, Charlotte saw Peter leaning on the side of the car talking to another woman. He looked over her shoulder and spotted Charlotte and Anna and waved them over.

"How was lunch?" Peter asked as they both approached the car.

"Delicious, as always. How's your friend here?" Charlotte asked looking to the young woman behind him.

"This is Darling Ulself. She's the receptionist at the London shop, just stopping by to drop off some reports." Peter said, as Darling reached out her hand for Charlotte to shake.

"I'm Charlotte Crawley. Peter's Fiance." Charlotte said, as the woman gave a forced smile and shook her hand.

"Mr. Parker's said a lot about you." Darling said, looking to Peter.

"All good things I hope."Charlotte said, as Darling smiled and nodded.

"Of course, nothing but the best. Well, I better head back to London. Good to see you again Peter." She said, not even acknowledging Charlotte. 

"Wow, she was super rude." Charlotte scoffed, watching Darling strut off. "Why did you hire her?"

"She's never acted like that before. I'm sorry dear." Peter said, wrapping an arm around her and pressing a kiss to her cheek. "I'll get the manager in London to talk to her."

"What did you do while we where gone?" Charlotte asked, as he opened the car door for them to get in.

"I went to the bar to grab some lunch and a drink. That's really all, talked to a few lads, but that's really it. I had fun though, I didn't mind." Peter said, holding his hand out for the Charlotte who got into the car first.

"I'm not going to stay for dinner tonight. Tell your mother I'm terribly sorry. I'm not feeling all that well." Peter said, at Downton getting out of the car. Charlotte eyebrows furrowed in concern and she placed a hand on his forehead.

"You have a temperature. You're not going anywhere, come inside and lay down for a bit." Charlotte pleaded, concerned that Peter was drunk and didn't want him driving any more. "If you're feeling better by dinner you can go, but if your not, I want to be able to take care of you." 

"Alright, I really didn't drink that much. So I can't be drunk. I must have caught a cold or something." Peter said, wincing and clutching his head. "I have a terrible headache."

"Well then you're defiantly not driving home." Anna said, escorting the couple into the house. "Why don't you go lay down in the east wing Mr. Parker?"

"I'll escort him. You go tell Mrs. Patmore to make some tea." Charlotte said, as Anna nodded and headed down the servant staircase. "How long have you felt like this?"