Chapter 33 - Fire!

Words: 2203

Hey yo, I'm back, I forgot how dramatic this scene was ngl I kinda loved writing this, I loved the drama and thought it was really cute that peter's "hero" complex came into play ;)

"Look at this. A man in misery," Robert said, flipping though the paper while everyone was in the library. 

"Who's in misery?" Tom asked. 

"The king, according to Robert,"  Cora said, as Tom took a seat next to her. 

"He has to deal with a labor government. Why do you think?" Robert said, as Tom rolled his eyes, but smiled. 

"He doesn't look miserable to me. He just looks like himself," Rose shrugged. 

"What's your main objective to Mr. McDonald?" Mary asked pouring a cup of tea, "that the prime minister is the con of a crofter?" 

"I couldn't care less if he was the son of Fu Manchu. What worries me is that our government is committed to the destruction of people like us and everything we stand for," Robert said. 

"I think we should wait and see what happens before we panic papa," Charlotte said, "wait, where's Edith?" 

"She had some old lady to see in the village," Rose said as Charlotte nodded , but wondered which lady. 

"What about you? Is everything settled at the school?" Cora asked Rose.

"What's this?" Peter asked. 

"They were swearing in Mr. Adam's replacement on the school board. It all went off very smoothly." Robert scoffed. 

"I thought they might have asked me." Charlotte laughed and patted her fathers knee. 

"I feel a bit guilty about the school. I ought to support it more," Tom thought as Mary and Charlotte shared a look. They both knew about his little fling with the teacher and wondered if the sudden interest in the school was about her. 

"I'm giving away the prizes this year. Come with me?" Rose offered as Tom nodded. 

"Barrow, can we clear the tea? I'm afraid Lady Edith's missed it, and Nanny will be down in a minute," Cora asked, as Barrow nodded and started clearing the cups. 

"I better run," Robert said, standing up and throwing the paper back on the couch. 

"Oh stay and see them," Cora pouted. 

"just as soon as they're able to answer back," Robert joked. 

"Sybbie can answer back," Charlotte joked.

"True. Why does she call me donk?" Robert asked. 

"It was that game you played, pinning the tail on the donkey," Tom laughed.

"Can't I be Grandpapa, or something a little more dignified?" 

"I'm afraid it's donk for the moment," Mary smiled as the door was opened and the sound of footsteps could be heard.