Chapter 10 - Everything Changes

"The pains have stopped. Nothing will happen yet. Everything is fine." Doctor Clarkson said, as everyone sighed and Charlotte nodded and turned around to see Peter swaying back and fourth in the hallway.

"You mean it was a false alarm?" Robert asks as Clarkson shakes his head no.

"Not exactly. These early labor pains show that the womb is preparing itself for birth." He said as Robert sighed and rubbed his forehead. Charlotte quickly turned around and stepped into the hallway where Peter was waiting for her.

"Just early labor pains, she'll be fine for now." Charlotte said as he nodded and ran a hand down his face. "Could you stay here tonight? I feel like it's going to be a lively night." He nodded and sighed holding her hand and pressing a kiss to the back of it before the others came out of the room and they all went down to the library. 

"Peter's going to stay over tonight. I think we're going to be pretty busy tonight." Charlotte said, patting the seat next to her before sitting down next to her father as he nods and takes a sip of whiskey. 

"Thank you, maybe you could entertain Charlotte for a few hours." Robert asked, as Charlotte hit her father on the knee.

"Papa!"

"You've been busy enough for the last few weeks, I don't want you to be to stressed." Robert said, giving her an endearing smile. "So, until the baby's born, maybe take it easy?" He asked, as Charlotte smiled, but nodded.

"She'll be the one keeping me distracted. Trust me," Peter chuckled.

"Alright, I'm going to try and get your mother to get some fresh air." Robert said standing up leaving the two of them in the library alone.

"I've never been this nervous before." Charlotte nervously stuttered, bouncing her leg, as Peter placed a hand on her leg to try and calm her down.

"She's going to be just fine. Apparently my  mothers ankles sole, when she gave birth to me, she turned out just fine." Peter said, placing a kiss to the back of there connected hands.

"I suppose," Charlotte said, " let's go take a walk."

Meanwhile up in Sybil's room Tom and Cora where sitting by Sybil, watching her rest.

"Have you discussed names at all?" Cora asked Tom as he sighed and nodded.

"But I'm not telling you yet. We wanted to surprise everyone." He said, as Mary stuck her head in to check up on her mother.

"Mama, papa's going to pick up the doctor. So he'll be back in an hour or two." She said, as Cora sent her soft smile and nodded before standing up and walking out of the room to talk to Mary.

"Why don't you sit with your sister? I'm going to go to the washroom."

"So, what are you thinking in terms of a wedding?" Peter asked, swinging his and Charlotte's hand back and fourth.

"I'm not sure, I don't want my wedding to be like Mary's, but also not like Sybil's. I want it to be unique. I don't want to have it at Downton that's for sure." Charlotte said, as Peter furrowed his eyebrows together in confusion.

"What! Why?" Peter asked.

"Downton is my home, but it wont be forever. I want to have our wedding somewhere  new to signify our new family."

"We can always have it in the village?"  Peter offered, as Charlotte shrugged.

"Why don't we have it in your backyard. I mean you have a beautiful garden, and a backyard big enough for hundreds," Charlotte offered, "I mean it'll be my home soon."

"Well if you put it like that." Peter said, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Now the only thing left is to tell my parents about the whole thing," Charlotte sighed, "hopefully by tonight Sybil would of given birth and then we can tell them." Peter sighed and nodded before hearing someone running behind them.

"Milady, you better hurry back!" Amelia said, as Peter and Charlotte turned around quickly and looked at each other before nodding.

"What's happening?" Charlotte asked, taking off her coat and handing it to James.

"Lady Sybil is giving birth, but she doesn't quite seem with it." James muttered, leading her up the stairs with Peter hot on her heels.

"Hey," Peter mumbled, "I'm going to stay out here, I"ll let you all have a moment." He said, as Charlotte nodded and sent him a worried smile before bursting into the room to see the rest of the women and Tom already in the room.

"What did I miss?"

"The new doctor is coming soon, but Doctor Clarkson is going to do everything until he comes." Cora quickly said standing up, as Charlotte nodded, as Sybil moaned in pain.

"She's been rambling for a while now," Mary whispered in Charlotte's ear, "doctor Clarkson thinks she's suffering with eclampsia and is delusional."

"Well he knows Sybil, I believe him." Charlotte whispered back, as Robert and the new doctor came rushing in.

"Let Doctor Philip see her." Robert said, as Doctor Clarkson moved away.

"I think I'm going to step outside for a while and update Peter." Charlotte proclaimed as Cora nodded, watching her youngest daughter hastily walk out of the room.

As soon as she stepped outside she looked down to the ground to see Peter leaning against the wall, with his eyes closed.

"What are you doing?" Charlotte asked as Peter opened his eyes to see Charlotte kneeling in front of him.

"I figured you would be in there for a while, so I made myself comftroable." He said, patting the ground next to him, as Charlotte chuckled but nodded her head and sat down next to him leaning her head on his shoulder before updating him on Sybil's condition. 

Little did they either of them knew that the next twenty four hours would be the craziest day of their lives.

(Words 992)