Chapter 29: Changing

Words: 1K

Short little update but story progression! Still working towards the birth, it'll be a couple more chapters to go, so hang in there!

"I don't like her," Mary said referring to Tom's new friend. "She's getting to Tom to think like he used to, putting up a fuss all the time." 

"Maybe, but I think Tom's smart enough to see who's good enough to let into his life," Charlotte said, trying to tame her sister's scowl.

"Can I tell you something that you can't tell Mamma?" Mary asked, as Charlotte took a sip of her tea and nodded. "Rose is engaged to Jack Ross, the singer who came for Papa's birthday." Charlotte chocked on her tea a little before looking around the room to see if anyone had noticed, which thankfully, no one had. 

"Really, and for how long?" 

"Only a couple weeks, but I went over this afternoon to talk to him, maybe talk some sense into him. God knows, it's impossible to do with Rose," Mary whispered as Charlotte chuckled. 

"Okay, time to get up and help with the final bazar preprations!" Cora said, walking into the library. Aunt Rosmond, Violet,  even Isobel had come to help. 

"Why don't you oversee the servants dear, and leave the heavy lifting to the rest of us?" Cora told Charlotte as she nodded, gliding a hand over her bump while making her way out to the front garden. 

Peter had volunteered to help set up the tents with the servants so Charlotte was overlooking him for a while. 

"Where do you want the tents dear?" Peter asked, carrying a few wood poles on his shoulders. 

"Right next to the podiums, and make sure that they are are lined up nicely together," Charlotte said, watching him stick the poles into the ground. In past years she would help in the kitchen. Making pastries and cooking tarts was the job she enjoyed the most, but unfortunately one of the classic dishes made were fish pie tarts, and the smell of fish made Charlotte sick, so she had to change jobs. 

After about three hours of hard work, everything was finished and they could all enjoy a good nights rest until tomorrow. 

At least that's what Charlotte and Peter thought. 

"Peter, I can't sleep.  The baby's kicking so much," Charlotte sobbed. This was the third night that she had gone without a good night's rest, and it was starting to get to her. "Can you sing to them?" 

"Darling..." Peter moaned, he didn't like singing all that much and insisted that it wasn't the singing that calmed the baby, but more just his voice. 

"Please," She pleaded, wiping some of the tears off her cheeks. Peter sighed and nodded, propping himself by her stomach and starting rubbing small circles.

"Rock-a-bye, baby
On the tree top (On the tree top)
When the wind blows down (When the wind blows)
Cradle will rock
When the bough breaks down (When the bough breaks)
Cradle will fall and
Down will come baby
Cradle and all"

At the end of the song Peter look up from Charlottes stomach to see her already passed out. HE chuckled, pressed a kiss to the bump, and laid back down. 

Charlotte was in seated in the shade with Edith and Mary. A fan in and trying to cool herself off. Charlotte realized tat during her pregnancy she was always hot, and today was no exception.  

"Can I get you anything?" Peter asked, walking up to her in his white outfit and cute hat. He was playing a game of mini golf, so he ad some gloves off, Charlotte thought he look extra handsome in the outfit. 

"A drink to cool myself off. I think there's a mocktail somewhere?" Charlotte said, as Peter nodded and threw his gloves on the chair beside her, "thank you!"

"He treats you so well," Cora gushed, sitting next to her pregnant daughter. 

"Always had mama," Cora smiled and sighed looking around the fair. "The fair has gone well mama. You should be proud."

"Oh I am," Cora said, before quickly turning around to see a couple of car's pull up to the house. 

"Who is that?" Mary asked, standing up. 

"It's his lordship!" Carson said, waving James and Albert over. 

"Papa?" Charlotte asked, as Edit shrugged and helped her up. Peter quicky jogged over to take Charlotte's, "did you know about this?" 

"No, absolutely no idea," Peter chuckled as Robert, Cora, and Carson walked towards them. 

"Darling!" Robert said engulfing her in a hug before giving Peter a hug as well. "You look radiant dear."

"Thank you Papa. I'm glad you made it back safe," Charlotte smiled, giving her father a kiss on the cheek. Charlotte smiled as Peter and Robert hugged each other and talked about Peter's business while playing some of the carnival games. 

"I'm glad that they get along. It would be such a hassle if they didn't," Cora said to her mother, as she laughed. 

Later that night, Charlotte pulled out her diary that she recently purchased. She thought it would be a good idea to write down her and Peter's love story, the journey of her pregnancy, and the anything else that may happen along the way. She wanted it to be a surprise from Peter, so she purposefully hid it from him. 

"Lottie!" Peter called from his office, "if we want to make it to your parent's for dinner, we need to get changed and leave soon!" 

"I'll be down in five minutes dear!" She called back closing up her journal with the writing, and hid it under her side of the bed. She rang her bell for Amelia, and quickly got her to do a pretty updo. 

"Okay, I'm ready dear," Charlotte said walking into the office to see her husband with a bouquet of flowers. "Oh what are these for?" Charlotte asked, taking the roses. 

"It's our one year marriage anniversary today. Did you forget?" Peter chuckled, as Charlotte chuckled, and shrugged. 

"I'm sorry," she pouted before pressing a kiss to his lips. He laughed some more and reassured her that it was okay, considering she was pregnant. "Okay, let's go. Edith's going to be up my back if we're not there on time."