Chapter 28 - A Female Friend

Words: 1.2k 

A/N: Hello everyone! I'm back writing at 3 a.m to bring you guys a chapter! I've been feeling in the mood to write so I've been working on a whole bunch of stories! Hope you like this chapter <3

m to bring you guys a chapter! I've been feeling in the mood to write so I've been working on a whole bunch of stories! Hope you like this chapter <3

"Be safe okay. We both remember what happened last time you went to any political," Charlotte joked, remembering when her sister was knocked unconscious at the last rally. 

"I'll make sure to keep him in check," Peter said, giving Charlotte a quick kiss on the lips. Charlotte nodded watching the two boys joke together as they both got into the car and drove away.

"Well, what am I supposed to do now?" Charlotte joked as she and Cora made their way back to the house. 

"Well I've got to go to help finish the Bazarr, would you like to help me?" Cora asked. 

"I would you know that, but I have extreme scramble brain." 

"Alright, well then you have fun lounging around," Cora said moving to the library. 

Charlotte sighed and decided to make her way down to the basement. 

"Alfred! It's good to see you, what are you doing back?" Charlotte asked making her way down the staircase to hear and see Alfred in the kitchen. 

"My mother is sick,  I wanted to come here and check up on both her and what's going on here. It's good to see you milady," Alfred gushed, tipping his hat. 

"Are you staying in the house?" 

"No, I'll stay at my mom's but I'll spend the ay here and go back home tonight,"

"Well, don't let me get in the way of your fun, I'll speak with his lordship, but I'll try and arrange that everyone have the afternoon off while Alfred's here!" Charlotte exclaimed as all the servants cheered. 

"Oh come on Papa, it's just a few hours. They'll all be back in time to cook and have supper ready," Charlotte pleaded as Robert sighed. He knew he wasn't going win against a pregnant woman. 

"Fine, they can have the afternoon off," Robert sighed. 

"I'll go tell Mr. Carson," Charlotte squealed. 

"So what are you thinking about naming the baby?" Tom asked Peter on the drive to Ripen. 

"Well Charlotte wants to name it after my father or aunt, but I wanted to include her parents as well," Peter exclaimed. "So I was thinking Benjamin Robert or May Cora." 

"I think those are lovely names. I talked with Sybil about baby names but once she died I knew in my heart that I had to name her after her mother," Tom said smiling at the fond memory. 

"I'm sure that must of been difficult," Peter sympathised. 

"I'm afraid, it's just us for dinner. Tom's still at his political meeting and Edith is still in London," Cora said as Charles entered the library where the ladies were sitting. 

"Don't be afraid," Charles joked. 

"But we are afraid. How can three brainless dullards like us ever hope to entertain Mr. Blake?" Mary joked as Charlotte tried to contain her laughter. 

"Mary! That sounded a little rude," Cora scolded. 

"I can take it, did the pigs arrive?" 

"Absolutely, although unwitnessed by me. I'll go with Tom tomorrow," Mary said, as Charles chuckled. 

"Well, I'm curious to see them and I'll be out all day. Why don't we walk down after dinner?" 

"Oh I'm afraid not, my feet are quite swollen," Charlotte sighed, "but I'll come next time," 

"You two go. I'll take it on trust," Cora smiled towards Mary who had already agreed.

"Let's hope this cuts come tension between the two of them," Charlotte chuckled as Cora also smiled. 

"So you're saying that Mary stayed up all night, got herself all muddy, and worked with Charles Blake all for some pigs?" Charlotte laughed. 

"I'm very impressed," Tom chuckled, handing Charlotte a tea cup. 

"I'm afraid I've slept rather late," Mary admitted slightly blushing, Charlotte playfully nudged her. 

"You worked rather hard last night, you deserve to sleep in a little," Mary blushed even harder.

"Oh hush you." 

After hearing Mary and Charles talk about there pig adventure more, Charlotte decided to go down and check up on Alfred who was staying for the night. Amelia had told her last night, and was excited to see him again. 

"Milady? What can we do for you?" Carson asked, standing up from his desk. 

"I was wondering if Alfred was in yet? Amelia told me he was coming to stay the night? I wanted to ask him how training was?" Charlotte said. Carson cleared his thorat and gestured for her to come sit down. Which was never a good sign. 

"I'm sorry to tell you this milday, but Alfred will not be staying here tonight," Carson said. Charlotte furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. 

"Why not?" 

"You see there is a bit of a love triangle, do say, between Alfred, Daisy, and Ivy, and to avoid some arguments down here we just decided to put Alfred up in the pub tonight." Charlotte nodded and bit her lip. 

"I will say, I'm sad I won't see him, but I understand your reasonings and respect your decision. If you do see him again, tell him I asked about him?" Charlotte smiled as Carson nodded, "Well then, I'll be on my way. See you later," Charlotte said, standing up as Carson also stood up and opened the door for her. 

"Also send me the bill for Alfred stay at the pub, please. I care about what goes on down here and want to help out in anyway I can." Carson smiled and tried to protest but Charlotte insisted.

"Turns out Tom met woman at the meeting. A real fire cracker she is, they talked quite a lot during the meeting, didn't really look my way once he saw her," Peter said, making Charlottes heart swell, but stomach drop. 

On one hand she was happy for Tom because he sounded very smitten, but at the same time protective of him and didn't want him marrying any other woman that wasn't her sister. 

"Well was she nice?" Charlotte asked crawling into bed next to her sleepy husband. 

"She's very opinionated, but in the end, yes she's nice." Charlotte squinted at her husband who had already closed his eyes and was half asleep. She was to tired to ask more questions tonight, she would ask Tom himself tomorrow at dinner. 

The next day at dinner Charlotte came up to Tom who was by himself at the bar. 

"So Peter told me yesterday that you struck up some conversation with a woman at the convention?" Charlotte asked, watching Tom's chocked face. 

"Yes, I did, but we only spoke for a few minutes before and after the meeting," Tom said, "she's a teacher in the village." 

"Oh she lives in the village, so you can go see her?" Charlotte asked as Tom scoffed and turned around to face her. 

"Charlotte!" 

"What? I think having a female friend sounds like a good idea!" Tom shook his head and put his drink down. 

"I'm not talking about this with you right now," Charlotte could tell he wasn't mad just uncomfortable. 

"Oh leave him alone dear," Peter said placing a hand on her waist. Tom gave him a appreciative smile before quickly walking away. 

"You're no fun!" Charlotte said, taking the glass of water he had extended to her. 

"You should be grateful that I'm keeping you out of trouble."