Chapter 22 - The Power of a Women

(Warnings: this is the episode with Anna's rape. I wont be writing directly  about it but I will be writing the after. Charlotte will be taking care of ana along with Mrs. Hughes.)

Words:1129

"This is pretty big news

"This is pretty big news." Peter said, taking a deep breath on the drive back to the house.

"Papa is being defensive. He's being a bully." Charlotte spat rolling her eyes at her father's bitterness towards Mary.

"Well hopefully Murray can win this for Mary," Peter said, "he's just happy to have some power back and manage things alone."

"But that's the thing. He can't. He already asked Matthew to save the estate because he made bad decisions. He shouldn't be trusted with the whole estate."

"If it makes you feel any better. I made you my heir to everything after we got married." Peter said as Charlotte gapped.

"I'm exhausted. Let's just talk about this later?" Charlotte asked, as Peter nodded and pulled into the estate. As soon as Charlotte stepped into her house, she went straight to the bedroom.

"Which side if the bed do you want to take?" Peter asked, leaning against the door-frame.

"I usually sleep on the right, if that's ok?" Charlotte asks, placing both her hands on his shoulder and stood on her tiptoes to press a kiss to his lips.

"Perfect." He said, placing his hands on her waist and kissing her.

"I can not believe that Dame Nellie is going to be performing at the Abbey. I used to listen to her records all the time!" Charlotte said, stepping into the car to go to the Abbey.

"I heard that they were going to house her in the servants hall. Not up in the house." Peter said stepping into the car as well.

"I assume that was Papa's wishes.  He's so old fashioned," Charlotte sighed, "Mama has been kind enough to invite the servants to hear Dame Nellie tomorrow evening. So we can go see Mr. Bates. See how he's been since prison."

"I don't know if I'll be able to attend the concert. I've been called back to America to deal with a big business deal. I'll be gone for about two weeks." Peter informed Charlotte as she gasped. 

"You can't go to the concert. I'm so sorry. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, you were just saying how excited you where to see Dame Neville. I'll be okay alone. You stay here."  Peter said, as Charlotte pouted but nodded.

The next day Charlotte and Peter where at the train station waiting for Peter's train to arrive to take him to London then to America.

"You promise you'll call everyday?" Charlotte asks, as Peter nods and leans into kiss her.

"Have fun at the concert love." Peter says as his train pulls in. "I'll see you in two weeks." He says before he gets into the trian.

Charlotte waves as the train pulls out of the station taking her husband away. Charlotte sighed but made her way back to the car that was taking her back to the Abbey for the concert.

"Anna? Are you well you don't look so good?" Charlotte asked.

"I have a bit of a headache. I think I'm going to go take a celzar water." Anna said holding her stomach.

"Okay, just be quick. I don't want you to miss the concert." Charlotte said as Anna nodded and made her way downstairs.

Charlotte gave her a sympathetic smile and made her way to sit beside her mother when she felt a hand on her back. Charlotte spun around to see James with his hand on her back.

"Hello? Can I help you?"

"This is Ms. Dame Neivle. She saw your beautiful dress and wanted to compliment you." He said, with his hand still on your back.

Charlotte smiled and moved aside out of James reach, sending him glare. Sending Dame a beautiful smile.

"Thank you so much. I had it custom made, and may I say, I'm enthusiastic to see your performance tonight." Dame smiled and curtsied before returning to the stage.

"James this is enough. Stop touching me and being so flirtatious. I am  a married woman, if hat wasn't a big enough hint for you. Your actions will  be reported to Mr. Carson." Charlotte spat before the orchestra started warming up.

During the concert Charlotte noticed that Ana had missed this entire show. After the show Charlotte had excused herself to go look for Ana. As soon as she made her way downstairs she made her way to Mrs. Hughes room where Ana was sitting crying in the corner.

"Ana?" She asked, poking bet head in before fully stepping into the door.

"Close the door!" Ana whispered, as Charlotte's eyes widened, but closed the door quickly.

"Ana are you alright? What's going on?" Charlotte asked, stepping closer to her but not getting in her space. Ana wasn't saying anything though. Just crying and holding herself.

Charlotte quickly looked to Ana tor  dress and bruises around her neck and quickly put the pieces together.

"Oh Ana." She gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. 

"No! Don't say anything." Ana said, as Charlotte nodded, but excused herself.   She couldnt cry in front of Ana. As soon as she left the room she started crying.

"Milady? May I ask what's wrong?" Mrs. Hughes scared Charlotte out of her fog.

"Umm," Charlotte sniffed, "Ana's been raped. She's hysterical and I don't know what to do." Charlotte whispered so no one else could hear what she was saying. Mrs Highes nodded and escorted her back into the room to see Ana crying on the floor.

"How could you!" Ana accused Charlotte.

"Ana, dont blame Charlotte. This is a lot to put on one person, especially a young person." Mrs Hughes whispered, "Who was it?" She asked, but Anan didnt say anything. Charlotte didnt think she would ever tell.

"Mr. Green was just down here wasn't he?" Charlotte asked, as Ana  sobbed even louder. Confirming the suspect.

"Okay, you stay here and Y/N can you run to grab Ana some new clothes?" Mrs. Hughes asked, as Charlotte nodded and quickly left the room, dashing to Ana's room.

Once she returned she saw Ana and Mrs. Hughes trying to cover up some of Ana's bruises.

"I got the first dress I saw." Charlotte quietly said, handing over the dress to Mrs. Hughes. "Ana, you have to tell the police."

"No!" Ana immediately responded, "this stays between us."

"But Ana."

"Promise?" Ana sobbed, as Mrs. Hughes nodded.

"Fine, I promise."

Wow. What a heavy chapter. This was really hard to write. Love Ana she deserved better.

Anyway, I'm back! Hope you liked this chapter. I've been working on this for weeks.