Chapter 25 - Rejection

Words:1551

Warnings: fluff, mentions of death, mentions of SA , but cute Peter!!

"Why is Tony Gillingham here again Mama? I don't find him that interesting at all," Charlotte asked her mother watching her eldest sister interact with the man.

"He's here for Mary of course. I think he's going to ask her any day now," Cora said surprising Charlotte. She hadn't realized how close the two had gotten over a couple of weeks he's been 'in the picture'. 

"Do you think Mary's going to marry him?" Charlotte asked. 

"I think so, he's quite handsome and can provide for both Mary and George," Cora said, but there was one thing that she didn't mention. 

"But does she love him?" Charlotte asked only to get silence from her mother, telling her the real answer. She quietly bid her mother goodbye and went to the garage where Tom and Peter were looking at a car together.

"What are you two doing out here?" Charlotte asked leaning up the garage door frame, watching her husband look up at her with a sweaty head of hair. 

"Just looking at the car. It was making a noise on the way up here, so I asked Tom to look at it with me," Peter said as Tom popped out from under the car. "You shouldn't be in here. I'll be out in a minute!" Peter said, throwing a rag on the ground and pushing his hair back from his face.

Charlotte wasn't showing a bump yet, but she was certainly feeling pregnant. A minute later Peter came jogging out of the garage with a big smile on his face and pressed a kiss to her cheek. 

"Hello gorgeous wife, what can I do for you today?" Peter asked watching Charlotte.

"I was wondering if you knew anything about Tony and Mary? Mama thinks that he's proposing soon," Charlotte asked as Peter smiled, signaling that he did know something. "You do know! Tell me!" 

"He's proposing right now," Peter whispered so Tom couldn't hear him. 

"No!" Charlotte exclaimed as Peter chuckled and nodded. 

"Right this very moment."

"But do you think she's going to say yes?" Charlotte asked. 

"I hope so. Tony's a nice guy. I think he would be good for Mary," Peter said as Charlotte pushed a curl back from his forehead. 

"Okay well, that's all I wanted to talk about, go back and have fun with Tom," Charlotte said pushing her husband back into the garage as he chuckled and bid her farewell. Heading back into the house she almost ran into Anna. 

"Oh Anna, I'm so sorry," Charlotte pleaded as Anna curtsied, "are you alright?" 

"Of course milady," Anna said, unconvincingly.

"Alright well, have you moved back into the house? I thought you'd stay in the cottage?" Charlotte asked. 

"No, I can't stay there with Mr. Bates. If you'll excuse me milady, I have some errands to do."  

"Anna!" Charlotte exclaimed as Anna ran past her and up the stairs. Charlotte didn't know how to get to Anna. Maybe backing off would be the best thing for her. 

"Are you going up to see Michael Gregson again?" Charlotte heard Mary ask Edith as she walked back into the library. 

"Yes, I want to give him my article as well, make sure everything is adequate," Edith said as Mary rolled her eyes. "What about you Charlotte any plans tomorrow?" 

"Going to doctor Clarkson for a checkup. Maybe go for a walk in the village, nothing special," Charlotte shrugged. "Anyway, will Tony Gillingham be back again tomorrow?"