Prologue

"Is there any news of Sybil?" Matthew asked standing at the front of the church with Mary.

"She's still not coming. She insists they can't afford it." Charlotte, who's standing right behind Mary. Matthew sighs but nods in understanding.

"Mr. Travis, can we move forward?" The archbishop asked as the reverend nodded and asked Mary and Matthew to walk down the aisle again. After another half on hour we all took a break to let the reverend and the archbishop discuss.

"Is there really no way we can get Sybil over here?" Mary asked, "it seems rather silly."

"On the contrary, it's a relief Branson is still an object for the county. We'll ask him here when we can prepare the servants and manage it gently." Robert says as Mary and Robert back out together to walk down the aisle again.

" He's making a problem where none exists. No one could care less were Branson at the wedding or not." Isobel said.

"You must think country life more exciting than it is if you imagine people don't care when an earl's daughter runs off with the chauffeur." Matthew said as Isobel huffed.

"Well, the fact remains she has run off with the chauffeur and they'll have to get used to it" Isobel said as Charlotte smiled. She really liked Tom, and thought he was a good fit for Sybil. They still write to each other,  she try not to tell Robert. He gets so terribly angry whenever anyone mentions Tom or Sybil.

"What is it Papa?" Charlotte asked stepping into the library, to see her father reading a letter. He seemed very conflicted about it.

"Well one of my good friends Anthony Stark just died, left behind a wife and daughter. But his partner Peter Parker is going to be traveling over sea's to come see us for a while. He'll be here before the wedding tomorrow." Roberts said.

"Peter Parker, wasn't he the one who invented the car?" Charlotte asks as Robert nods.

"Yes, and Anthony. He says that the family wants to bury him here. He was English after all." Robert said before handing her the letter.

"How did you meet? Peter's only 18, like me." Charlotte said quickly skimming the letter over. He had such nice penmanship, it was beautiful to look at.

"When I went to America a year or two ago, I went to see Anthony and Peter was his apprentice back then. He's a good kid. I guess when Anthony died Peter inherited his company." Robert said as Charlotte sighed.

"Well, if he's all you chalked up to be, I'm excited to see him tomorrow." Charlotte said leaving the library to find her sister, who was saying one last goodbye to Matthew before the wedding.  "Come on Mary. You'll see him tomorrow." Charlotte said leaning against the door frame of Mary's room where Mary and Matthew was. "Bye Matthew." Charlotte said as Matthew smiled and nodded before leaving for his house.

"I'm so excited." Mary said as Charlotte says, sitting on her bed and waited for Anna to come in. "I can't believe the wedding is tomorrow." 

"I know. Make sure Anna hangs up your dress tonight so it doesn't wrinkle." Charlotte says as Anna walks in.

"I heard my name. I hope everything alright?" Anna says hanging up Mary's wedding dress. Charlotte new it was her time leave so she made her way to open the door.

"We we're just discussing about hanging up the dress. So no need anymore," Mary said spotting Charlotte slipping away, "goodnight," she said as Charlotte smiled and closed the door.

The next morning Charlotte was dressed and ready for the big wedding at 7 A.M. She was the first one don for breakfast. In fact breakfast was ready when she entered the dinning room. Surprising Mr. Carson with her early appearance.

"Milady, breakfast isn't ready yet. My deepest apologies." Mr. Carson said as Charlotte chuckled at his professionalism in such a laid back scenario.

"It's alright. I forgot to tell you I was getting up this early. I'll wait." Charlotte said as Mr. Carson nodded and pulled out a chair for her. Luckily she had brought a book because she knew her father wouldn't be down for at least another hour.

About thirty minutes later breakfast was served and tea was brought out. Charlotte was starving and didn't bother waiting for Robert to come down.

"You started without me?" Robert asked walking in too see his youngest daughter eating by herself.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I came down at seven to try and get in some alone time and maybe get ahead of schedule, but none of the food was ready, so when it came I was so hungry I had to have a little something." Charlotte explained as Robert chuckled and pressed a kiss to the top of her forehead.

"Peter Parker will be here at lunch and will be staying with us for a few weeks after. I got a letter this morning." He said plaing the letter in front of her. "He sent it very early this morning."

"Make sure Mrs. Patmore knows Mr. Carson." Charlotte says as Carson nods and disappears for a  few minutes to deliver the news. 

"When Peter gets here will you spend some time with him. You're the only one around his age." Robert asks Charlotte with pleading eyes.

"Of course father." Charlotte says as Robert smiled. Just as Robert sat down Edith came strutting in. "What's got you in such a happy mood?"

"I got a telegram from Anthony Strallan. We've been talking for a while." She said sitting down with a plate of food. "He's coming for luncheon. I've already discussed it with mama and told Mrs. Hughes."

"Looks like were having a full house." Charlotte said as Edit furrowed her eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" Edith asked.

"Well Peter Parker is also coming for luncheon, just saying quite a few guests," Charlotte says, "do you like this 'Anthony Strallan'? I've never heard of him before."

"He came for dinner a while a go. We hit it off then I guess, and yes I like him, he's very nice." She says as Charlotte sighs. She knew that Edith wasn't getting any younger, but now she seems a little desperate.

"Edith he's more than twice your age. Don't you want someone to grow old with? With Strallen he's already grow old, it's only a matter of time before he dies." Charlotte says looking at Edith who is practically fuming.

" He isn't old and all the young men I've ever knew is either already married or died in the war. It's not my fault I can't find a younger eligible bachelor during these times.  So I suggest you stay out of my love life Charlotte." Edith spits before silence falls over the whole room.

After Charlotte finishes eating she quickly gathers her things and runs out of the room, trying to avoid Edith's glares. She didn't want anything to dampen the happy mood of Mary getting married.

The rest of the morning was spent decorating the house for the reception. Hanging up banners, assembling the flowers, making sure there where enough glasses, all that fun stuff.

"Excuse me, are you Charlotte Crawley?" A young man around Charlotte's age asked tapping her on the shoulder causing her to quickly turn around.

"Yes, and who may you be?" Charlotte asked.

"Peter Parker at your service."