Chapter 23

Catherine's point of view

I groaned as someone shook me, trying to wake me up. "Catherine, please wake up baby girl, this is important." I heard someone say in a soft voice.

Even in my sleepy state, I knew something was wrong. The person sounded broken, like a family member died or family pet got hit by a car.

I hummed and turned around. I pried my eyes open and rubbed the back of my hand agaisnt them. "Mum? What's wrong?" I askes in a groggy voice.

"I'll explain in the car, just get dressed. Please." she said and I nodded. I threw the blanket off of me and she ran out of my room. She literally took off as if the room was on fire.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but thought nothing of it as I went to my bathroom. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth. When I finished, I ran my brush through my hair and put it up in a messy ponytail.

I went to my closet and grabbed a random black sweatshirt and threw it on my bed. I grabbed a pair of black skinny jeans and quiclky pulled them on. I slept in my underwear so I was fine.

I debated on whether or not to wear a shirt under my long sleeve, and sighed. I grabbed a black tank-top and threw it on. I grabbed a random pair of shoes, and just like the rest of my outfit, they were black.

It's like I'm going to a funeral....Oh god, I hope I'm not.

I sighed and pulled my shoes on after putting socks on. I stood up and grabbed my longe sleeve. I pulled it on and then grabbed my phone off of the night stand.

I ran to the living room and my mum was standing by the door. "I'm ready," I said and she nodded. She opened the door and ran out.

I followed her, but closed the door right behind me after locking it. "Mum what's going on?" I asked as I got to the car. "You're scaring me."

"Get in the car Catherine." she told me and I nodded. I got in and buckled up after I slammed the door shut.

"Mum-"

"It's your father," she said in a croaky voice. "He got in a car accident on his way home this morning a-and we need to get to the hospital."

She pulled out of our driveway and started driving to the hospital. I looked down and chewed on my bottom lip. Damn, now I feel bad for wearing all black.

"What-How did it happen?" I asked her, feeling tears brim in my eyes. Maybe we weren't the most stable to be in a car and behind the wheel, but we needed to get to the hospital.

"Some fucking idiot was drunk driving," she said and I nodded. "He wasn't thinking and ran a red light. I know he was intoxicated but from like age one you are taught red means stop, what the fuck?"

It was rare to see my mum so upset. She was always smiling and trying to make everyone happy. She only cried when something big happener and she only swore when she was really upset.

I nodded at her explanation and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I wiped my eyes with my sweater, but when I noticed how big it was on me, I knew it wasn't mine.

I thought back to who's it may be and images of last night flashed in my head. It was Ashton's, he gave it to me last night because I got cold.

But now I was using it to wipe my tears away.

• • •

When we got to the hospital I ran in with my mother. She started shouting for my dad and people had to tell her a million times to lower her voice. I held her hand for comfort and she squeezed it each time her voice cracked when she spoke.