Chapter 37

Catherine's point of view

We had spent the whole day at the hospital, well, until it was closing hours. The only one who had stayed was Kelsey because dad forced mum to come home with me and get some sleep in a real bed, rather than a hospital chair.

"The bed is so much bigger when he's not in it and it doesn't feel right." My mum complained as she pulled on one of my dad's shirts.

"You guys do have quite a big bed." I said as I bounced up and down on it. "Do you even need all this space? Neither of you are that fat."

"Your dad rolls around in his sleep." She said with a chuckle and I nodded. "Can you sleep in here with me? I hate sleeping in that bed alone."

"Of course," I said and she smiled gratefully at me. "I love this bed." I said and crawled up higher on it. I grabbed my dad's body pillow and cuddled it. "And I know how it feels like to not want to sleep alone."

"Oh god I'm sick of sleeping alone," she sang and I rolled my eyes at her reference. She hummed the rest of the song and I set my phone on my dad's nightstand.

"You're dad's not the only one who listens to bands you like. You spoke so much of All Time Low, I just had to google them and their music." She said and looked at me as she took her jewelry off, aka a few bracelets, earrings, and her wedding ring.

"They're very inappropriate." She said and I laughed. "But so are we, so it's fine. They're like your father when he was their age, which was barely like what, ten years ago?"

"Yeah," I said as I laid down on her bed, spread out like a starfish. "Hey mum, can I ask you a question?" I asked and she nodded.

"Of course," she said and walked towards the bed. "What is it?"

"If I married a band member, what would you do?" I asked and she laughed. "What?" I asked confused. This was a serious question.

"I thought you were going to ask a normal question." She said. What? Is my question supernatural or something? What makes a question normal? "What would I do? Depends, how old is this band member?"

"It doesn't matter, just a band member." I said with a shrug as she laid down in bed. "A drummer, because drummers are hot."

"You got that right. Your dad used to play drums." She said and laughed as I turned around. "No come here, don't scoot away from me." She whined.

"Do you like Ashton? Is that what you're trying to say?" She asked me and I blushed. I wasn't trying to say that, but I guess I could tell her.

"Yeah sure," I said. "How did you know he was the drummer anyways?" I asked her.

"Kelsey," she said and I nodded. Same. "He reminds me of your father when he was younger. Cheeky, funny, and always liked making sure people are happy."

"Now, I no longer want to date him." I said and she laughed.

"When your dad was younger, he was quite the trouble maker." My mum said with a chuckle. I quieted down and decided to listen to her story.

"Our teachers hated him and he had been suspended numerous times. However, I on the other hand, never got in trouble and the teachers loved me. We were total opposites, but opposites attract.

We met in grade eleven, when I had to tutor him." She said and smiled fondly and I assume she was remembering it. "And it went on from there. We met up every Saturday, and then it went to spending the whole weekend together."

"Then he asked you out and took you to the lake not to far away from here." I said and she nodded. "I saw the carving." I told her.

"Did you? Is that where Ashton took you guys on your date?" She asked me and I chuckled.

"It wasn't a date, but yeah." I said and grabbed my phone off of the nightstand. "I took a photo of it. I'll show you." I said as I went to my pictures.

I scrolled through the millions me, Josh, and Kelsey, took, but not before my mum stopped me. "Who's that boy?" She asked me.

"Josh, my new best friend." I said. "He's so nice and sweet, and really insecure when he shouldn't be. He's perfect."

"You like this boy too, don't you?" She asked me and I sighed, but nodded. "Who did you like first?" She asked me.

"Ashton," I said, scrolling through my photos to find the one of the tree.

"Go to Josh. If you really liked Ashton as much as you think you do, you wouldn't have liked Josh." She told me and I nodded.

"Yeah," I said and then found the picture. "Here it is," I said and showed it to her. "Your initials," I said and she nodded with a smile.

"You need to print that photo out for me." She said and I nodded. "I still have the same one I took the day we carved it in." She told me. "But I don't want to get up. I'll show it to you some other time."

"Got it," I chuckled and set my phone on the nightstand. I yawned and curled up a bit. "I'm tired," I mumbled and my mum yawned soon aswell.

"Same." She said and wrapped her arm around me. "Goodnight Catherine," she said and I nodded.

"Goodnight mum." I said and closed my eyes. I had fallen asleep to the sound of her steady breathing and heart beat.

This was short....and crappy.... and unedited aswell, I apologize.