Chapter 30

Catherine's point of view

We sat at a bar and we both had a cup of coffee in front of us. I grabbed his wrist and ran my thumb along the lines on his wrist. "Can you tell me why?" I asked him and he looked at my hand.

"Life is hard ya know? I'm either too much of something or not enough. People left me, taking parts of me with them. My parents are at each other's necks every day. And I'm just a waste of space you know?" he said and a tear landed on his leg.

"I'm sorry for making you cry." I said softly. "And you are not a waste of space. One day, you'll look back at these days and be grateful you didn't end it all. Life is hard, but you gotta stay strong. It's the best shot you have. Who knows? Maybe next week you'll meet the person who will turn your frowns upside down or you'll get the opportunity of a lifetime."

He nodded and I gave him a hug. "You'll be just fine." I whispered as I rubbed his back. "Everything will be fine and so will you. Just stay strong." I said.

I was thankful no one was here except for us and the employees. They didn't bother us, which I liked. They left us to ourselves, until they thought we were ready to order.

It was strange how I care so much about him, but that's just me. I'm a very caring person. I'd take a bullet for anyone, even if I don't know them. It's just me.

"Would you two like anything to eat?" A lady came and I looked at Josh. He looked at her then at the menu.

"Some waffles and bacon, that's all." he said as he wiped his eyes. The lady nodded and wrote it on her notepad and I got eggs with sausage.

She said our food sill be done shortly and I nodded. This whole time, I still had my thumb tracing over the scars on his wrist. "We just met and you care so much, why?" Josh asked and looked at me.

"It's just how I am." I said. "I care, a lot, about people. It doesn't matter if I know you, don't know you, or just met you. I care and one day it'll all come back and bite me in the ass." He chuckled and I took a sip of my hot coffee.

"Aren't your family and friends worried about you? You left late at night and haven't came back home. It's already around seven." he said and I shook my head.

"No," I said. "My friend knows I stalk off late at night sometimes. So I just text her an 'I'm okay' every hour or so." I told him and he nodded.

"My parents don't care." he said and I let go of his wrist so he can take a drink of his coffee. "Or they don't notice that I'm gone. Either way, I'm fine."

My phone buzzed and I jumped. He sent me a questioning glace and I pulled my phone out. 'Did you leave again? And take Luke's flannel?' Kelsey texted me and I replied with a 'yeah'.

"So, that is my friend's flannel," I told him and he looked at it. "And it is so big on you." I said, noticing how baggy it is on him.

"He must be a big guy," he said. "Like muscular and broad." he corrected himself and I nodded. Luke is quite broad and his decent sized biceps.

"Yeah," I said and looked at it. "Your really skinny," I said outloud and almost mentally slapped myself. Dammit Cat, you can't just say that. That's like saying, 'you're really fat' to someone.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that. You're perfect and you're not that skinny. I've seen skinnier men and I think I should stop talking." I rambled on and he chuckled. I blushed and groaned in embarrassment.

"You speak your mind don't you?" he asked me and I nodded sith a blush on my cheeks still. "It's fine. And I know I'm quite... thin," he said, hesitating on the word.