Nicholas' Flaw

Nicholas was reading a book titled: the history of the Great South. (Dunno why he's reading that. or where he got that.)

As soon as Sage saw him, she walked up to him and slapped him across the face. The slap didn't do as much to him as hurt Sage, even more, hitting the ice. Nicholas barely noticed. He held out his hands, and a cup of hot chocolate floated from the microwave to his hands. He took a drink and looked up at Sage.

"What were you trying?" He asked, eyebrows raised. "Is this still about the whole 'not harming others' thing? 'Cause I ain't got time for that."

Sage didn't listen. "Why did you kill him?!?"

"He was gonna die anyway. Cyrus called the police, and there's no way for him to have escaped."

"So you take the liberty of being his executioner?" Vega asked.

"He was the executioner for the 200 young men and women that he kidnapped."

"well..."

"Sage! Vega!" Scarlet interrupted. "Does it matter if he killed that man? HE WAS TRYING TO PROTECT US! He didn't even ask for a thank you, and you're here screaming at how he broke some stupid rule!"

"THEN WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO? LET HIM UNPUNISHED? HE JUST MURDERED, SCARLET; KILLED!!!" Sage yelled back. "HE DOESN'T DESERVES TO BE A STAR DARLING; BREAKING PROMISES, KILLING PEOPLE WHO ARE HELPLESS!"

The 2 continued bickerings, but Piper could feel Nicholas' anger rising.

"Guys!" she yelled. "Stop arguing! Stop, all of you! Get out of here! Come on!" she shooed the others out before Nicholas could blow. She was about to exit when Nicholas' mind called: Piper. Stay. I need someone to talk to.

What's going on? She asked.

I just feel so... betrayed.

Why is that? Piper sat down beside him.

I didn't want to kill the man... not exactly. I just wanted to protect the team... the only family that never betrayed me. he took a deep breath. History repeats itself I guess.

Oh?

I may seem like I don't care, the truth is... I do. He looked at her, sadness edging his eyes. I'll go to great lengths to save my friends... loyalty is my fatal flaw. Personal loyalty that is. My grandpa told me that once. The first time I did something to save my family... you know. The time I saved my brother from being eaten alive. I became... whatever I am for him. Then I was punished for something that wasn't my fault... and I was banished from my home. Then, I was taken into the Star Darlings. After a while of warming up to them... I have friends to protect... a family to sacrifice for. Today... I killed people, Piper. I killed to protect them. And now what did it do? It gets them mad at me when I kill to save them.

People always do that, I guess. Piper replied softly. They don't realize the sacrifices that others make if you don't show it. Does it bother you when you kill?

Yes.

Exactly. You're bothered by it but you don't show it. Then, people won't recognize the choices, sacrifices you make, but instead, associate you with a heartless monster that kills.

Maybe I am a monster.

You're not! You're my best friend!

How do you know? What if I am one on the inside?

Stop it!

Nicholas exhaled. How do I show people I'm bothered by... death? After years of being alone... I don't know-how. I'm not even sure if I can express sadness that openly; my heart's frozen for too long for it to feel anything.

Piper placed a hand on his shoulder, only to have him flinch away in pain.

Are you ok?

It's the wound the man Dutch did. I may be hard to hurt, but when I do get hurt, it hurts like crazy.

How can I help? Can I try and heal it?

No. Normal healing doesn't work on me. I'll heal in a while, just very slowly.

I'm sorry.

No, it's good.

It's getting late; I'll go to sleep.

Alright. May we see each other in our dreams.

Nicholas waved his hands, and Piper found herself back in her room. Why do I feel so protective of him? She thought before getting ready for bed.

I know I know, a boring chapter. The next chapter hopefully is not as boring.