Part Thirty-One

People always seemed to know. Even before the owls came. The castle would be just dark and somber. Sirius didn't know how the students would know, but they did. He guessed it was just what happened in boarding school during a war. And when they woke up that morning it was clear. Everyone talked in hushed tones, they rushed down to the hall, and sat in almost silence awaiting the news. Something was wrong.

"It can't have been a werewolf" Remus whispered to the other Marauders as they sat anxiously awaiting the Daily Prophet. "The full Moon was 3 weeks ago. They would have known by now."

Sirius was grateful for this. Whenever there was a werewolf attack Remus had an unreasonable sense of guilt. And as much as the other Marauders would try to tell him he had nothing to do with it, and cheer him up it never worked. Remus would spend days moping and miserable. Sirius thought that seeing what other werewolves would do made him feel like a monster. However Sirius always thought the opposite, the fact Remus fought so hard against it, that made him so damn brave.

"How can you eat right now?" James snapped at Peter. Who was shoveling food into his face.

"It is not hurting anyone" Peter muttered his cheeks pinkening as he put his fork down.

"It can't be anyone we know. They would have told us privately." Sirius said though he knew he was the least likely to be effected by this. His family would not be attack, he was more nervous that they might be the attackers. James' parents were capable and powerful wizards. This might just put more of a target on their back. They were however purebloods, the biggest 'blood traitors' you'll ever know, but still purebloods. It seemed that Voldemort was currently only interested in muggles or muggleborns. Remus was the only one of them with a muggle parent.

Remus look distraught. He wouldn't make eye contact with any of them, and Sirius was begining to wonder if it was to hide nervous tears. After a couple awful minutes Sirius couldn't stand it any more, so he slowly under the table placed his hand over Remus. He didn't interlock their fingers incase he needed to move his hand away quickly. But he let his palm rest over the back of Remus hand, his thumb gently moved up and down. Remus looked over and Sirius' theory was confirmed by the red eyes he saw, yet he smiled.

"Where is she?" James said his leg shaking glancing up and down the table.

"Who?" Peter asked and Sirius rolled his eyes. Pete really could be so thick sometimes.

"Evans" James replied his whole body seemed to be filled with nervous energy.

"She just a student. She hasn't done anything. They wouldn't go after her family." Remus said, and though it was factual. It certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility. The Death Eaters favourite target were muggleborns and their families.

"She told me the Ministry put some protections up around her house." James said "But that's hardly stopped anyone in the past. She is of age now and planned on adding a bunch of her own over the summer. She is such-"

But James stopped as owls began to flood into the great hall. Many dropped notes and Sirius wondered if some parents were calling their children home, and many more brought papers. Peter, James, and Remus got notes from home, which they all opened first. This gave Sirius a chance to take James' Daily prophet.

"Merlin" He muttered as he read the front Page.

Muggle School Attacked Multiple Casualities Dark Wizard Suspected to be Involved

At 2:48pm February 19th the Muggle Law enforcement was called to Queens Park Primary School in Brighton. When they arrived at the sence they found the bodies of 20 school children as well as their teacher Miss. Ava Prospy. Prospy was born into a magical family but appeared to have no magical abilities and did not recieve any magic training. She instead was educated in the muggle system and began teaching in a Muggle Primary School 3 years ago. A local Wizard sighted the dark mark above the school and called the authorities. Ava Prospy father Daryl Prospy works at Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes and was one of the first to arrive at the scence.