Part Eighteen

Sirius had to admit it was possibly the worst date anyone had ever been on. If you could even say it was a date. At first Lucy just talked, as they made their way around the lake, which was boring but fine. Sirius found his mind wandering to quidditch plays, as he could see the Slytherin team practicing. He was just wondering if they were practicing swivel drops, when he felt Lucy nudge him.

"So what do you think?" Lucy said with a slight glare that showed she knew Sirius hadn't been listening.

"Oh" Sirius said caught off Guard and awkwardly replied "I umm think it's great"

Lucy raised an eyebrow "Great?"

"Yeah great" Sirius knew there was no point switching his answer now "sounds great to me."

"So you think the goblin slaughter going on in Tajikistan is great?" Lucy said in a cold and unforgiving voice.

"Well umm not for the goblins" Sirius muttered uncomfortably. He suddenly realized they were only a quarter of the way around the lake, so there was still much time to be filled.

"Maybe we should talk about something you are interested in. Perhaps then you'll listen." She mutter the last part but Sirius heard her clearly.

"We could talk about Quidditch, the teams been practicing-" Sirius started but Lucy interrupted him in a brisk voice that was eerily like Professor McGonagall.

"I'm not interested in Quidditch. It doesn't take any special magical ability to sit on a broom" she said.

"Sounds like someone didn't impress Madame Hooch" Sirius said it as a joke but it clearly struck a nerve.

"I heard you failed your charms exam" she retorted which seemed unnecessarily mean.

"I didn't fail technically I got caught cheating" Sirius said defensively. He remembered with a twing of guilt that he had cheated using answers Remus had written out for him. The night before the test Sirius had completely lost his cool about how he didn't understand any of it and he how much he hated it all. Without Sirius even having to ask him Remus handed him a sheet with all sorts of helpful information. It had been Sirius' fault he got caught, he was getting lazy hiding the sheet. But no matter how many times they asked him he wouldn't rat out Remus. When he got back to the dormitory Remus had been so relieved Sirius hadn't ratted him out he'd hugged him suddenly, and Sirius remembered smiling and saying something along the line of Moony I'd never betray you, you goof.

"Sounds like failing to me, I'm surprised you haven't been expelled yet" She said, and Sirius was honestly starting to wonder what he had done to offend Lucy so deeply, and why on earth she had wanted to go on a date with him.

"It's cause we are so charming" Sirius said, remembering how Remus had said the same thing after the four of them emerged from the head masters office after a stern telling off and Peter how questioned how it was possible they were still allowed on school grounds.

"We?" She said.

"Me"

"Sure" She said sarcastically.

After this the walk was mostly silent. Sirius wanted to ask why she had even bothered to ask him out if she so clearly despise him but he he didn't. He just kept to himself, and tried to remember in his head what homework he had to do when he got back to the castle. The two stopped just outside the castle, and Sirius turned to wish her an awkward good bye and then leave and just uncomfortably wave at Lucy if they made eye contact in their remaining time at Hogwarts. But she said something that surprised him greatly.

"Well this was fun, should we do it again next weekend." Her tone was brisk again and didn't really convey that it had been any fun at all, which it really hadn't been.