Part Thirty-Five

"How did we end up with them?" Lily gestures at Sirius and James who currently look more like a couple than anyone else in Gryffindor House. A happy glow possibly from the recent sun or the joy of exams being done surrounded them both. They seemed to be telling an animated story that Remus couldn't hear but he was sure he had sat through before. They finished each other sentences and watched the other adoringly as they talked.  A party was in full swing mostly organized by Sirius and James who had snuck of mid afternoon and come back with an insane amount of butterbeer and fire whiskey. Lily had forced everyone bellow 4 year to go up to bed because of this but looking around it seemed most of them seemed to have snuck back out. Lily seemed not to mind.

Her and Remus sat next to window, having abandoned the whiskey, and were happily passing a joint back and forth. The weed was already washing over him calming any nerves he had about the end of term. This time tomorrow he would be home. All his friends miles away from him. But he wouldn't dwell on it. Not when he could just sit for a moment and enjoy the warmth that was the Gryffindor common room. 

"We need better decision making skills. Maybe they should teach us that instead of the history of goblin rebilion." Remus replies watching as Lily exhales smoke which curls a little as it spills out of the window. Lily looks equally at peace, her smile slightly foggy, eyes glazed. 

"Yeah then maybe you and I would get together can you imagine how calm that could be?" Lily said her lips flicking up indicating she was joking "We could have a little cottage, read books, drink tea, I'll learn to knit and I could make you sweaters."

Remus chuckled a little at the whole idea. His love for Lily could conquor worlds but that might have been the most insane thing anyone has ever said. 

"Sorry Evans" Remus said letting his eyes drift back to where Sirius was now jumping up and down clearly excited by his own story. The group of third years listening were looking at him like he walked on water and Remus wonder if that was what he looked like as he stared at Sirius "I like a little madness in my life."

Lily sighed dramatically leaning further back against the ledge of the window. "I guess I do too"

"You alright there Pete?" Remus asks as Peter wanders over to them. He holds out the joint to a tired looking Peter but he shakes his head. Peter never was big on smoking. 

"Yeah fine, but the dormitory is a mess. Black hasn't packed a thing" he said. 

"Wanker" Remus mutters "He told me he'd get it done. He is just trying to make a point."

"Whose trying to make a point?" It was James now who made a beeline straight to Lily planting an over affectionate kiss on her cheek. Ever since Lily had agreed to go out with him every single moment of James Potter's life seem to be spent a mix of awe and joy. He was followed quickly by Sirius who flashed Remus another cunning grin before snatching the joint and bringing it up to his lips. 

"Black" She replied leaning into James happily. 

"Oh come off it Evans" Sirius said smiling happily as he exhaled "What have I done now?"

He looked so in his element. The joint slotted so beautifully between his slim graceful fingers. And his smoke encircled him making him seem like some sort of etheral being. The backdrop of a party with music, youth, and joy was so suiting. Remus' addled mind wanted to always remember him like this. This would always be his Sirius Black.

"Well I have a man on the inside who says you haven't packed yet" Lily said raising her eyebrows lazily. 

"Ah well you see that isn't my fault." He looked over at Remus and grinning pointing one his fingers at his nose "It is Moony"