Part Eight

The Jinxes hit Lukas before he could utter another word, though Remus likely didn't see as he was sprinting out of the Great Hall. The jets of light came from Sirius' and James' wand, and the two didn't stick around to see if Lukas was okay. They rushed out the hall after Remus as quickly they good.

When they got to the Enterance hall Remus was no where to be found. Sirius found himself in a state of panic, and anger, not really finding the energy to care about what Lukas' had said. The look of shame, and betrayal on Remus' face was all that Sirius could think of.

"Where do you think he went?" Sirius said in a tone of desperation.

James looked around before pull out the map.

"Do you carry that with you?" Sirius a bit confused but relieved, James just shrugged. The three if them  examined the map, the castle was so big it took awhile for them to find the little image labelled Remus Lupin. He was up in a classroom on the third floor, and no sooner had they pointed it out then Sirius was running up the marble stairs. Sirius heard Remus soft sniffles before he even tore into the room.

Sitting on the window sill was a distraught Remus Lupin. He had pulled his robes up around him, and his legs into his chest. Even though Sirius, James, and Peter, came in at a run, Remus didn't look up. Instead he turned his face towards the window. 

The three stopped and stared at him. Sirius' had been so desperate to find Remus he hadn't figured out what he was gonna do when he saw him, and now Sirius' wished he had hit Lukas with a bunch more hexs. 

"You alright Moony?" James said in an awkward attempt at compassion. 

"Of course he bloody isn't" Peter said rather unhelpfully "Look at him." 

"Shut up you twats" Sirius whispered unable to take his eyes of Remus whose crying had turned silent but his body shook. 

"I should have just left in third year" Remus said and his friends fell silent "I've always been a monster. You were the first friends I ever had, and I knew from the moment I met you all I didn't deserve your friendship. My parents kept me away from almost everyone, and it was for a good reason. Lukas' was right all along I am ashamed, and I should be. Nothing about me has ever been normal. You deserve better a friend. I'll pack my stuff, I can be gone by tomorrow."

The defeat in his voice was painful, and Sirius was about to jump in but before he could James spoke up.

"Don't be daft Moony! We've told you a thousand times you aren't a monster, and we will tell you a thousand more. And sure you aren't normal, who the fuck is. We are all just a bunch of weirdos.  We would all be expelled from school first year if it weren't for you. And yeah that Lukas' guy is a complete dickhead, and I'd say maybe dump his ass. But I will sit on your case for the rest of the year before I would let you leave." James said in one long breath, causing Remus to look over at him. He still had tears in his eyes, but a small watery smile was on his face as well. Then his eyes shifted to the door.

"I can't believe I agree with James on something" Lily Evan said entering the room and smiling at the three of them before making her way over to Remus and sitting on the sill at the opposite end from Remus "You aren't going anywhere."

"Everyone knows now Lily, the whole school. I can't face any of them ever again." He said sounding defeated. 

"No one will say anything" Sirius promised taking a step closer to Remus tentatively "Not after what happened to Lukas."

Remus' eyes snapped up to Sirius' for the first time since he entered the room, and sure a second Sirius breath stopped. He had no idea why but seeing his friend in this state wrecked Sirius' so much. A part of him wanted to run back out the door and hit Lukas with about 19 more jinxs hexs and maybe even a couple old fashioned punches to the gut. But an even bigger part of him wanted to stay here and do whatever he could to see Remus properly smile. 

"What happened to Lukas?" He asked surprised.

"Well I am not really sure what Jinx did you hit him with Prongs?" Sirius asked with a small smile. 

"Went with the classic jelly legs, how about you Padfoot?" James replied. 

"Pepper breath" He said with a smile "That should be a nasty combination, he could be in the hospital wing for a couple days." 

"You shouldn't have done that" Remus said unconvincingly "You could get in trouble"

"We would do it again." Sirius said aggresively to a nod from James.

"And I'll help next time" Peter said awkwardly "Everything just happened so fast."  

"It's all right Wormtail" Remus said. 

They all sat in silence for a couple minutes, in which Remus' gaze returned to the grounds, Sirius gaze stayed fixed on Remus. Ulimately Sirius' wasn't sure he helped Remus at all. He still looked so deveastingly upset. The sound outside the classroom started to increase as students finished breakfast and started to make their way to class. And finally Lily Evans broke the silence.

"I've got to head to class" She said "Everything will be okay"

She placed a kind hand on Remus' before leaning in and placing a friendly kiss on his cheek. After a moment of hesitation she got up and gave a kiss on the cheek for all the boys. James looked completely shocked like maybe the whole world was about to collapse around him. 

"Make sure he's alright" She whispered in Sirius' ear, to which Sirius' nodded with a serious look. 

Once the door closed behind Lily, James jumped up into the air with a cheer that Lily could definately hear from the hall way. Seeming to not care that the tone of the room was still pretty down he started running around like a happy puppy. 

"Did you see that!?" He exclaimed "She kissed me, like actually kissed me."

"She kissed all of us technically" Peter said. 

"I can't believe it" James said still awe struck collapsing on the floor "This is the best day of my life."  

"Seriously?" Sirius' asked (IK) nudging James with his foot. 

"Oh Moony is fine." James said smiling scarcastically over at his friend "Stop making everything about you Moons"

Moony let out a soft chuckle to this which gave Sirius a flood of joy. So relieved to see his friend happy. 

"I don't think I am going to class" Remus said wiping his eyes, and standing up "But you guys should get going, you'll be late"

"You can't steal all the fun Moony" Sirius said walking over to Remus and wrapping an arm around him "If you are skipping so are we. And I know exactly what we should do."