Chapter 21

As per usual, I will be replying to every comment posted within the next 48hrs!!

|| ✨ ||

November hit me like a smack in the face. Our teachers decided to throw essay after quiz and more tests at us to test our knowledge for upcoming end of semester standardized tests. And with all the festivities of my siblings and Sophie's wedding, I threw myself into my schoolwork.

Grayson was a lot less concerned but he was also not in AP classes so he didn't see the need to stress, which only made me more stressed. William was officially charged and was forced to move online for school and Mia finally made her return the Monday after Halloween. She was constantly surrounded by her friends, chasing away any unwanted people.

I hadn't had the chance to talk to her personally, and there was no news on the charges against William. Last I heard from my father was that the judge was deciding whether to rule him as a minor, since he was only turning eighteen in the new year, or as an adult because his birthday was so close.

Most of the time was spent in the library. Lunches and most days after school. Grayson's circle had invited me to eat lunch with them but at the last second I had chickened out and Grayson found me in the library doing a school assignment that wasn't due until after Thanksgiving break.

He sat next to me and pulled out his phone, scrolling through it. Keeping me company but also giving me space. The gesture made me melt but it also made me nervous. This was moving quickly and I was new to relationships.

There was no word or speculation about Grayson and I, someone had mentioned that they saw me hanging out with their group on Halloween but they said it looked like I was only around the girls for most of it. But word did get out that Maddie was in frenzy mode because of my studies.

Everyone knew to stay away. Wide berths were created whenever I walked down the hall and people made a point to not make eye contact or sit too close to me when I was focused.

It was Friday on the second week of November and I had just finished going through my Chemistry notes for the quiz in tomorrow's class. The school was pretty much empty, the librarian had to almost physically remove me from the area so her and the security guard could lock up for the weekend.

Grayson had finished football practice a while ago and was due to meet me for dinner at the Diner around six. Extracurricular activities had ended a short while ago from the pounding footsteps I had heard from the library.

Thanksgiving was two weeks away and Charlotte had been texting me about how she was excited to have me stay with them. Mom and dad were going to stay with Grandma Vicky and Johnathan was coming down and staying with Olivia and Sebastian. Izzy was unable to travel due to her fragility so Johnathan was spending a day with her at the old age home to celebrate before flying out.

I lugged my backpack over my shoulder, opting to have a backpack instead of a handbag because of the amount of textbooks and notebooks I was carrying around nowadays.

The halls were deserted as I made my way through the school to get to the parking lot. I did see students rushing around corners, wanting to leave their weekly prison but no one else.

A classroom door opened a further down the hallway and Natasha stepped out, her eyes immediately catching onto my movements. A smile spread across her face.

"Maddie!" She called as she was trying to gain my attention in a crowded hall.

I raised an eyebrow, slowing my steps. "Yes?" I asked in a clipped tone.

Her smile didn't falter. "I just wanted to chat about everything and clear the air between us."

"Oh?" I tilted my head slightly.