Chapter 44

Fair Warning...don't hate me.

And please please read the author's note at the end it will all make a little more sense.

|| ✨ ||

Ping!

The sound jerked me awake.

Ping!

A low moan left my lips and I slowly rolled over, pulling a pillow over my head.

Ping! Ping!

I blindly reached out a hand and hissed when my knuckle smacked the corner of my nightstand. My hand slowly glided across the smooth surface until I felt the cool touch of my phone as another notification came through.

Ping! Ping! Ping!

I dramatically flipped onto my back and stared at the ceiling, huffing a breath through my nose. And so it begins.

My door handle turned and I managed to look over and see my mother sneak in with a smile. She was biting her lip in excitement and kept her eyes on the floor to make sure she wasn't going to trip on anything.

She failed to notice my eyes following her across the room. "Morning Mom," I quipped casually.

My mother's whole body spasmed as she gasped and spun to face the bed. "Jesus Christ, Maddie, you scared the shit out of me!"

I slowly sat up, letting the comforter bunch up around my legs. "That sounds unpleasant."

She gave me an unimpressed look she usually saved for her husband before a smile broke over her face. In less than five seconds she was crawling on my bed, tackling me to the mattress. "Happy birthday, my baby!" She squealed, her body pinning me face down on the mattress.

"Mom, you're suffocating me," I groaned. For someone that was six inches shorter than me, she really knew how to utilize her body to pin down anyone.

My mother huffed, her arms spread like a starfish, resting on the bed. "I'm suffocating you with my love!" She announced.

I turned my head to the side, gulping down a much-needed breath of air. "That doesn't make it better," I argued, placing my arms in line with my chest and pushing up. My mother's body rose with mine before she toppled to the side with a loud 'oomph.' I turned onto my back and stared up at her.

She kneeled on my bed and sat cross-legged comfortably, her pink satin pajama shorts rising with the motion. She straightened her button-up short sleeve matching pajama shirt and smiled at me, brushing my hair out of my face. "Happy birthday, Honey."

I smiled, relishing in the feeling of her hand now absentmindedly brushing through my hair, and smiled up at her. "Thanks, mom."

A quiet tap sounded on the door and we both turned to face the door as my father walked in. He was carrying a large tray filled with different foods and drinks. He was already dressed in casual clothes, jeans, and a button-down short-sleeve shirt and set the tray on the end of the bed.

I slowly maneuvered until I was sitting with my back against the pillows pressed to the headboard. My mother sat next to me and stared at my father the whole time. He walked over and kissed the top of my head gently. "Happy birthday, Munchkin," he said softly, using my childhood nickname.

"Thanks, Dad," I mumbled, looking up at him.

He clapped his hands together. "Okay, as promised, I have chocolate chip pancakes and bacon, with some fresh fruit and your favorite hot chocolate." I gratefully took the mug from him as he handed it out to me. "And, mom and I are spending the day out, so you will have your required lazy day."