Chapter 50

Hi Babes!

It's Tessa time!! Also, I know that in previous moments with Maddie and Tessa some of you note how Tessa is 'so mean and rude' but understand that any sort of attitude or snarky comment pisses her off. Just keep that in mind.

|| ✨ ||

We stared each other down, instead of a predator staring down its prey we were evenly matched, unwilling to move first. She raised a subtle eyebrow letting a small smirk grace her lips accepting the challenge.

"Where's mom?" I asked casually, keeping my hands resting casually at my side.

Her arms crossed her chest. "At work."

I narrowed my gaze on her. "Then how do you have her car?"

Tessa's smile dropped. "Don't treat this like a kidnapping situation to distract me, I got to her work, ate lunch with her, and drove home. Dad's picking her up later tonight." She took a step forward.

"Why are you here, Tess?" I asked, making the first move and walking into the kitchen. She followed leisurely, never in a rush.

"I called Isaac," she informed me and I gritted my teeth, my back facing her so she wouldn't see me. "He said you needed a hug."

I stood in front of the island, Tessa on the other side, keeping her at a slight distance, knowing she has the ability to read faces and emotions perfectly. "So you came here to give me a hug?" My tone was sarcastic and confused.

"Fuck no, Isaac already gave you one," she chuckled, placing both hands on the island, staring me down. "I'm here because something must be seriously wrong if you need to ask someone for comfort when historically, you kept those emotions to yourself."

I scoffed, tapping my nails on the granite counter. "Because they make you weak," I hissed.

"Because they make you human, Maddie," she snapped back, her teeth flashing with the words. "And I get that you and I don't enjoy feeling vulnerable like that but at some point, you're going to break."

"I'm fine." I waved a hand dismissively, showing her just how in control of my emotions I am.

She glared at me. "I don't feel like listening to bullshit, so how about you drop the act. Is this because of the breakup?"

"Hardly." I stepped to the fridge and pulled out a chocolate bar I had kept hidden behind the eggs and grabbed two juice boxes, throwing one to Tessa. "You've been out of the loop for a while."

Tessa stared at me taking a large bite of the chocolate. She jerked her chin at the bar. "I can see that, since when do you eat chocolate as a snack?"

I rounded the island, pulling out a stool to sit down, enjoying my chocolate. "Around the time I shattered the heart of the only guy that gave a shit about me, on my birthday of all days, don't forget the honorable mentions of dad not letting me stand witness at Mia's trial and now he won't even talk to me because of something else I said."

She blinked in confusion. "Dad isn't talking to you?" She kicked out the stool, plopping herself on it and swiveling to face me. "Are we talking about the right man? Our father, the one that sees you as his pride and joy?"

I took another large bite. "Well, the position is up for grabs if you want it."

She tilted her head. "I'm assuming you don't want to tell me what exactly happened."

I ripped off the straw from the back of the juice box and stabbed it into the hole, using the straw to point at her. "You would be correct."

"Then let's talk about Grayson then, shall we?" She asked casually, sipping her juice.