Epilogue Part 1

Hi Babes!!

For these two epilogues, I am going to try to stay away from official numbers of years and ages just because that's too much math and I am in no mood, to be honest.

The second Epilogue will not be in the same time-lapse!

Enjoy!

|| ✨ ||

Seven Years Later.

"I am not hiring strippers for your bachelorette, I'll say it one hundred times if I have to, it's not happening," I declared, my phone pressed to my ear as I walked into the crowded Diner located ten minutes from my parent's house.

"Boo! You are the worst Maid of Honor ever!" The voice over the phone moaned. Her complaints were drowned out by the lunch crowd inside the Diner.

"Listen, we'll finish this discussion later, just do me a favor and Google how expensive strippers are, it would be cheaper if I just undressed for you instead," I explained sarcastically, moving through the throng of people to stand in line for the Order to-go section.

"You damn well know I would totally be down for another lap dance from my favorite lawyer but I don't want to give Kai any reason to second guess our wedding," SJ chuckled and I rolled my eyes, a smile appearing on my face from her antics.

The person in front of me stepped up to order their food. "I gotta go, I'm up next and I have exactly twenty minutes before my boss calls for an update on a case."

"Ugh, you're working on vacation? What is wrong with you? When we get to Vegas I'm shoving your phone into the hotel safe for the whole weekend and tonight it's going in my bra!"

"I'll see you tonight. Love you," I said instead of retorting. I hung up and stepped up to the counter, slipping my phone into my handbag.

Debbie, the owner of the Diner, smiled brightly. "Maddie Hayes it has been too long."

A bright smile crossed my face. "Hi Debbie, how are you?"

She gestured to the Diner. "Just doing what I love, how about you? Where are you staying nowadays? Your parents mentioned something about New York a few weeks ago," she mentioned, tucking a strand of grey hair behind her ear. Her hair was completely grey now and the wrinkles around her eyes were deeper.

My smile was genuine. "I'm doing great, I officially moved to New York about a year ago now and work at the district attorney's office in Manhattan."

Her mouth popped open in amazement. "Maddie, that is so great to hear, I am so proud of you."

I thanked her and we spoke for a few extra seconds about her family and everything before I ordered my food, knowing that other people were patiently waiting behind me to get their own lunch orders in.

My wait time was around fifteen minutes so I walked back outside and stood at the top of the steps, looking around the parking lot intently. I caught the sight of short brown hair near the old white shipping container and followed after it.

The beginning of summer was in the air and I found myself looking up at the sky and sucking in the fresh air that I had missed so much. There really was nothing like home.

I approached the white container silently. He stood at the side, observing each little detail of drawings that were crammed onto the cool metal. "You know you can draw something if you want, anyone is allowed to," I pointed at the Sharpies duct-taped to the container, "They keep it well stocked."

He looked over the container, his brown eyes cautious yet curious. "I don't think so, maybe some other time." He shrugged, slipping his hands in his hoodie pockets.