Chapter 6

As per usual, I will reply to any comment posted within the next 48hrs! Have Fun!

|| ✨ ||

Whispers were the first things that greeted me when I stepped through the front doors Monday morning. A few freshmen scuttled across the hallways to get out of my way. I didn't bother acknowledging them.

I ruffled my now dark brown, almost black hair, a smirk toying on the edge of my red-stained lips.

To say my parents were less than impressed when it was time to leave the Ward residence only for their daughter to come downstairs with completely different hair color, was an understatement. They didn't yell at me though because and I quote directly from my pouting mother, "I can't even be mad because it looks so good." She also claimed that now I look more like my father, which also defended me getting in trouble. Now I was the only one in the family with blue eyes and dark brown hair.

Katherine looked like I had kicked a puppy when I twirled for her giving her a full view of my hair. Goodbye blonde hair. And goodbye comparisons.

"Is this your version of a midlife crisis? Dying your hair?" Gabriella asked, stepping into my view. I continued walking.

"No, your nose job was though," I winked at her, gesturing them to walk with me. Gabriella was wise enough to shut her mouth and follow silently.

Dana shuffled her feet until she was next to me. "I like it, Maddie, it really suits you."

I smiled at her, "Thank you, Dana, see Gabs, that's how you compliment someone."

A figure stepped into my path. "Maddie Hayes, what have you done?" Percy gaped at my hair. The girl that he had been talking to him scowled at us. Dana looked her up and down with a curled lip. She backed down immediately.

I shrugged casually, fluffing my hair. "Something different."

"But the blonde hair was my everything, you really had that innocence look to you," he pouted, reaching out to tug a piece of my hair.

I dodged out of his reach. "Good, now you can leave me alone." I hated it when people thought that they had the right to touch me whenever they felt like it.

He laughed, his attention diverting to a junior's ass scurrying past. I scrunched my nose in disgust and sidestepped him before he could turn to talk to me.

"Great hair, Maddie!" Some sophomore, I didn't recognize called out tentatively. I gave her a silent head nod.

I walked past Rosie and her friends; they just stared at me like I was nothing but dirt. I waved at Rosie with a bright smile on my face. She scowled in response. My locker was at the end of the hallway, my friends branched off to head to their own homerooms, leaving me with Gabriella and Dana.

"Munchkin, what is this?" Grayson's voice drifted to me from across my locker. His friends were gathered around Carlos's cellphone, staring at the screen but Grayson's eyes were on me.

"Don't tell me you miss the blonde too," I commented, punching in my combination and opening the locker.

In a heartbeat his body was next to mine, his face hiding behind my locker door. "Why would I say such a thing, brunettes have a soft spot in my heart." He leaned forward to show his face and gave me a sly smile.

I gave him a flat stare, "I've been brunette for all of five minutes."

"Best five minutes of my life," he sighed dramatically. I pulled my locker closed to get a better view of his face. "All my sexual fantasies are finally coming together, lay it on me," Grayson held out his arms and closed his eyes, waiting.