Chapter 13

Hello!

We're getting straight into it today! Enjoy!

|| ✨ ||

"I just don't understand how you didn't invite us yet Rosie and her fuckup of a friend group ends up all over my Instagram feed last night. Explain that to me." Gabriella was the only stupid one to demand an explanation from me Monday morning.

Well if this is how they're acting after one barbeque I could only imagine Natasha's thoughts on Grayson being my plus one this weekend for the wedding.

I didn't even bother looking in Gabriella's direction and focused on pulling my textbooks out for class. "Contrary to your delusional brain, I don't have to explain shit to you." I slammed the locker door shut and stared her down. "So don't ask."

Dana stood silently a few feet behind Gabriella, no sign of Natasha. Gabriella whirled on me, stepping into my personal space, "The fact that SJ of all people in this fucking school was featured in Tessa Hayes' fucking Instagram story makes people like me, your friend, look like an idiot."

I raised an eyebrow, "When did I say we were friends? As far as I'm concerned, I tolerate your presence and that tolerance is running low right now."

Dana stepped up next to me, ever the peacemaker. "Gabby, it was a barbeque, Maddie had no reason to invite us, it isn't our business."

I hefted my books further into my arms. "Exactly, it's not your business. Dana, the reason Rosie and her friends were there was because Grayson, who was invited, got dropped off by them and I let them to stay." Dana smirked at me, a knowing look in her eye. I faked a smile at Gabriella, "There we go, happy now?"

Gabriella glared at me, "No."

"I don't actually care." I shrugged and walked away.

Lunch time rolled around and I found myself seated at the table by myself. Turned out Natasha wasn't even at school today but she hadn't texted me back or anything. No one else had bothered to show, either busy doing something else or they were avoiding me because of what happened with Gabriella this morning. My thoughts are on the latter.

I felt eyes on me, the cafeteria loud with chatter and just general noise around me. Not feeling comfortable with sitting by myself in front of people I pulled out some school work and my earphones, something no one outside the school library had ever witnessed, slipping them on and got to work.

People were scarcely gossiping about William. No one really knew the whole story or what to say about the bruises on his face that everyone saw on Snapchat over the weekend. There was a lot of chatter when he didn't show up for school today, most likely dealing with a case against him.

Mia was a no show too. No one spoke about that though.

I felt a presence next to me at a critical point in the paragraph I was writing for Biology. The person beside me tried to catch my attention but I held up a finger to silence him until I was finished.

I paused the music and pulled out one earbud, looking at the freshman sitting in front of me. He was on the tall side for a freshman but sat with the posture of a newborn gazelle. I stared at him silently. His eyes were wide, his teeth chattering, showcasing off the silver metal of his braces.

I leaned my chin on my hand. "Am I supposed to sit here all day watching you squirm? Speak."

His mouth dropped open as if he was going to say something but then shut again. Oh good lord. "I-" he cleared his throat, "I heard that you were the person to come to for advice on things."