Chapter 46

Guess that hopeful 'update Saturdays' was a disaster...My bad. It's just a bit crazy right now especially when I'm trying so hard to write these next chapters, let's not lie, it's a lot easier to write the cute, romantic scenes!

|| ✨ ||

The house was quiet Monday morning. Last night's dinner was fine, my mother kept trying to make me open up about the roses and I shut her down each time. My father had to leave on an emergency work trip this morning, we only found out yesterday when a private client called in distress. Mom wasn't too happy but dad didn't have a choice.

Ellie stood at the kitchen island, a pen and notepad in her hands to write down this week's grocery list with my mother. I ate my granola and yogurt at a fast pace, wanting to get out of the house quickly but also not wanting to go to school at the same time.

"Honey," my mother called when I had one foot out the door. She walked into the hallway and gave me a strained smile. "I may have to work late tonight we have a group of students coming in to watch a procedure and there's supposed to be a Q & A afterward. I'll put some money in your bank account."

I nodded my head slowly. "Yeah, okay, sounds good."

She pursed her lips and shrugged, leaning her arm against the doorway. "Maybe invite a friend over?" she suggested.

"Maybe," I said with a close-lipped smile. I waved to her and walked over to my car, slipping in and starting the engine.

The drive to Dana's house was quick since she lived a few streets over. We had vaguely spoken about what had happened and she decided not to give her opinion on it since she was not a part of the relationship.

Dana was standing at the end of her driveway, typing on her phone. I pulled up next to her and rolled down the window, leaning over the center console. "Since when do you wear black?" I drawled, slipping my sunglasses down my nose.

She scoffed and practically ripped open the passenger car door before climbing in. "Maddie, I'm in mourning right now, my favorite couple just crashed and burned, I need to present myself accordingly," she argued, gesturing to the black thin strap mini dress and white long sleeve shirt paired with over-the-knee black socks.

I rolled my eyes. "You are ridiculous."

She fixed her beret. "Seriously though, do you need some Taylor Swift?" I gave her a flat look. "Adele?"

"You are the worst best friend ever." We drove the few minutes it took to get to school. The parking lot was emptier than usual so I had several options of parking spaces to pick from. I subtly scanned the parking lot, tuning out Dana singing along with her music, internally dreading finding the Jeep associated with Grayson.

Releasing a quiet breath of relief at not finding his car, I turned into an upfront parking space and turned off the engine, cutting off Dana mid-note. "Okay, game plan," Dana stated, holding an arm out before I could open my door. I silently raised an eyebrow. "Seriously, who do I avoid, what do I say or do?"

"Dana, speak to whoever you want and say whatever, I'm not going to tell you what to do," I told her, opening the car door and stepping outside. Most of the students that were already at school were athletes getting in an early morning workout at the school's gym or the dedicated learners who were obsessed with studying.

The beauty of being there early in the morning was that the students there did not pay any attention to Dana or, more importantly, myself. I held my head high and walked through the double doors, finding some students sitting in the hallways, leaning against the walls, finishing their weekend homework.

The students sitting around glanced up, saw me, and immediately hid their faces behind their notebooks. I whirled to face Dana. "Does everyone know?" I demanded, gripping my handbag with both hands.