Chapter 24

So it's January 19th was yesterday which is Maddie's Birthday!! Yay!

Enjoy x

|| ✨ ||

A bell rang over our heads as we walked into the small bakery. The warmth from inside hit me square in the face as the door to the icy outdoor shut behind us. The smell of fresh pastry wafted around the space and through the customers who were seated at round tables and chairs.

The name Madeline's Bakery was everywhere, over the display counter, on the adjacent wall and on stacks of premade boxes ready to be filled with pastries and other treats. They even had merchandise.

The walls were painted a baby pink with white accents along the skirting. The thing that really pulled it all together was the drawings on the wall. They were black painted silhouettes of people, families, pets anything really layered  over the pink wall. It gave the place a sense of community and homeliness.

"This place...is where my name came from?" I asked in slight awe watching the customers laugh and talk to each other and the employees milling around.

Charlotte grinned, standing just to the side of the entrance so we didn't block anyone from entering. "Mom worked here when she went to college. Dad was a regular."

My eyebrows furrowed. "I thought they met in high school?"

"Barely, mom stole dad's schools mascot but they only met officially in college. Aunt Ingrid was mom's roommate." She waved at someone but I was too busy facing her, my jaw dropped open.

"What?" I asked in complete confusion.

Before she could answer or laugh at my dumbfounded expression, we were interrupted by someone. "Charlotte darling, how are you?" The lady asked, wrapping her arms around my sister. The woman had dark red hair and light brown eyes and was wearing a loose black polo shirt that had Madeline's Bakery stitched over the breast.

Charlotte buried herself into the hug. "Hi Kelly-Anne! How is everything?"

"Business is booming as per usual!" She pulled away, smiling the whole time. "Is your mom here?"

Charlotte shook her head with a gentle smile. "Nope she's at Grandma's house she said she'll be in tomorrow." She took a step to the side, showing me standing there. "But this," she wrapped an arm around me and pulled me forward, "this is Madeline Maria Hayes."

I held my hand out for her to shake. "Hello."

Her mouth popped open and she stared me silently, water gathering in the corners of her eyes. "Wow, it's lovely to meet you Madeline," she shook my hand firmly. Kelly-Anne looked back at my sister. "Your mother said that she was going to use both of their names and I didn't believe her but here you are in the flesh and you're gorgeous!" she gushed, her hands still wrapped around my own.

I smiled softly. "Thank you."

She stared at me for a few more seconds before snapping out of it. "Come sit down! Please sit anywhere," she gestured to the one of two empty tables, "I'll be with you in a moment, what are you feeling?"

Charlotte pulled off her coat and I followed, leaving me in my grey long sleeve and jeans. "I would kill for a chocolate tart right now."

Kelly-Anne laughed. "Coffee?"

"Oh no, not for me, a glass of water is perfect," Charlotte smiled, hanging her coat on the back of her chair. Kelly-Anne glanced over at me.

"Oh, uh do you have mille-feuille?" I asked slowly, knowing that most common bakeries don't carry the custard and puff pastry dessert.