16. Dirty Little Secret

Harry ⭐

My clenched fists hit the desk after Chloe had closed the door to my office.

I couldn't end what we've just done on this note; I need to know what is running through her head. Why would she tell me to kiss her, why would I allow myself to kiss her?

I didn't think about the consequences from this, I let my demons rule my head. Throwing the act aside I slipped under her gaze, her beauty and her tears.

She's engaged you idiot! To your business partner, the prick. How could she choose a person like Leo Hunter over me?

Because he's successful, handsome (I had to give him that), stable and secure, offering her a future she wants.

I am successful, look around me I built MODE up from the ground, she obviously found me attractive. I can give her any future she wants, I can offer her a stable relationship, and I will always protect her, look after her. I can be the Harry she needs me to be now.

Not thinking, I stand from my seat in a rush to my office door. Gripping the handle I pull it down opening it wide, giving me a full view of the couched area outside my office.

She was stood at Leo's side, her hand in his, as he leaned down placing a kiss to her cheek.

I leant myself against the door frame catching my breath from my panic to reach her, to grab her and pull her back into my office for an explanation.

Steph raised an eyebrow at me, letting a small giggle fall under her breath.

I remove myself from my stance and straighten myself before stepping out of my office and over to Steph's desk.

"Can I have all my meetings for the next week please Mrs Peterson?" Steph began to type away on her computer and I turned my head as the elevator announced its arrival.

I caught Miss Spencer's eyes and gave her a small smile of sympathy. I can't imagine the guilt that will be eating her alive, and I know she won't be coping with it well.

She returned the smile, as the doors closed on her and I let out a heavy breath that I'd held in as the engaged couple were in my presence.

"I know it’s none of my business Mr Styles, but is everything okay between you and Miss Spencer you seem a little flushed?" She asked with concern passing me the paper and resting her head on her joined hands.

My eyes were still trained on the elevator, before I snapped them back to my secretary and good friend.

"It’s complicated Steph but thank you for your concern," I flashed a smile turning back to my office door.

How could I re-enter the space knowing what had happened only minutes ago. I shook my head and turned back to Steph who had returned to her work.

"Cancel everything I had planned today please Steph, I have an important matter to take care of." She just nodded at my request as I rushed back into my office collecting my coat, my phone and my keys.

Locking my office door behind me I make my way to the elevator with my coat thrown over my arm, "Oh and Steph take the rest of the day off." She beamed at me, nodding with her head against the office phone.

The doors opened and I was quick to step in with only one destination on my mind.

*****

I banged on the door three times waiting for an answer. I tapped my foot impatiently hearing someone rush to the other side of the large oak door before it was pulled open and I was greeted with the familiar pair of hazel eyes.