6. Sparkle

Harry

I couldn't have gotten away from Chloe's office faster.

She was engaged. Engaged to Leo Hunter.

It'd only been three years. I mean I expected her to have a boyfriend or to at least have boyfriends. But her being engaged was a thought that never crossed my mind.

I rushed out of MODE Publishing House and to my Audi that was still parked outside the front next to Chloe's old Mercedes.

Climbing in I sat in front of the wheel for a moment to control my breathing. I learnt my head forward onto the cushioned stirring wheel and released a sigh of frustration.

I thought it couldn't get worse, but the dinner plans I had made only a few minutes ago were already hunting my thoughts. I couldn't spend the evening between Chloe and Leo, pretending we are all friends.

I knew exactly the right person to contact and dialled their number in my car as I pulled out onto the main road to MODE Offices. On the third ring she answered with her sweet, fluttering hello.

"Hey baby, are you free tonight?" I asked her keeping my eyes on the clear road.

"Depends what for? "She flirted innocently, but there was nothing innocent about this girl.

"A business meal over dinner at the Baby Elephant, "I informed her coming closer to the offices.

"Hmmmm, let me just check my diary" I knew she was only playing with me, with her small laughs that came through the speakers of my car.

"Please babe, for me?" I asked her, I knew she would. She would only ask for something in return.

"Okay Harry, but I want to spend time with you more. Just me and you. "She sulked to me through the phone. I know I should pay more attention to my girl but opening this publishers and seeing Chloe again has phased my mind.

"I promise baby, more you and me time." I was pulling into the private parking sector of my offices and I was looking to finish the conversation before she went off on one.

"Listen babe, I'm at work but I'll pick you up at 7? " She replied with an 'okay' and I hung up. Shutting off my car I stepped out and headed for the main entrance.

After 10 minutes of travelling through my offices to get to my office I was met by Chris Hunter sat on the grey sofa and Steph giving me a look of sympathy.

I wasn't supposed to be in work today, I was supposed to be spending it with Chloe but the news of her engagement made me feel ill and I had no better place to go than work.

"Told you he couldn't stay away," Chris hummed standing from his seat and leading us to my office. I followed him, sending Steph a small smile as she eyed the two of us.

I slammed my office door closed with my foot and moved to my office chair behind me.

I was furious with Chris; he recommended Chloe to me for this job and gave her all the applicant forms and details. He knew who she was to me and what she meant to me. I always saw Chris as a father figure and confined in him. Then he goes and throws my ex in my face when she is engaged to his son.

"What game are you playing here Chris? " I slammed my hands down on my desk catching his attention across the room as he poured himself and me a glass of scotch.

"No game Harry, I only try to help you. "He offered the glass of golden liquid to me but I stood from my chair letting it fall over.

"Having me interview my ex, you could have warned me. And you know I don't drink" I pulled my hand through my hair as Chris chuckled and sat down in front of my desk as I began pacing the floor.

He sipped from the liquid and laughed, "You didn't have to give her the job Harry" he taunted me raising his eyebrow.

I ran my hands through my hair; I was so frustrated with him, "when we're you going to tell me she is engaged to your son?" I seethed at him.

"Thought you would have figured it out Harry, make a cute couple don't they?" He asked, taunting me even more. I couldn't handle her being with that pathetic excuse of a man.

I was so done with Chris, he knew what I went through, he knew what happened, how hurt, broke and beyond repair I became.

I walked around my desk and to his side lowering down as he sat their smugly sipping on the scotch I kept stored for when important business partners came to visit.

"You need to tell me why you're playing this sick game with me right now otherwise I'm dropping your son from the deal." I pointed my finger right in his face; I didn't care if it was rude. I wanted an answer.

"Harry, I'm trying to make you happy. I've given you an opportunity to have what made you happy in life." He laughed like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I stood back from him confused and looked to the glass of scotch sitting on my desk; I suppose a sip wouldn't hurt. I walked back around my desk and picked up the glass, causing Chris to smile.

"Explain, now" I demanded, gulping the liquid, letting it burn my throat and remove part of the pain that sat in my chest since I walked away from Chloe.

"After Chloe, you had your time to build this," he gestured with his hands standing from his seat. "You had to time to become successful and be CEO of the year." He pointed to my award hanging on the wall. "I've watched Chloe for the past two years with my son Harry and not once has she had the same sparkle in her eye as she had when she looked at you." I leaned my hands on my desk, hoping that his words had made sense.

"But she is engaged to your son, and I have someone it isn't meant to be." I looked into the empty glass, swirling it for any more scotch put all the liquid had disappeared within one mouthful.

"She has never loved Leo the way she loves you, and all those models you date don't mean shit to you Harry." He laughs walking away from my desk with his back to me. "You made your dreams come true, and the perfect opportunity has risen for you to have her back, have it all. Show her the Harry she fell in love with and show her what you have become." He shouted at me, encouraging me to take his advice.

"I can't when I'm the same piece of shit she left three years ago." I stood from my seat challenging the man stood across from me.

"You have Harry, so much and for the better. Please listen to me and make it work, you belong together." He was by side now, holding onto my shoulders, "You're like a son to me Harry, and I won't let her walk away from you again and into the arms of another man."

"She's engaged, Chris to be your future daughter-in-law." He laughed and shook his head moving away from me to my office door.

"She'll be my daughter-in-law one day but not with my son." He pulled my office door open; with a goodbye to Steph he was gone.

I threw my head back in my chair and let out a loud grunt, there was a small knock on the door and Steph popped her head around the corner. I told her to come in and sat straight in my chair.

"Harry, erm Anna called about reservations for the Baby Elephant and Miss Spencer wants to organise a meeting this week with you," She spoke carefully trying to analyse the mood I was currently in.

I didn't even know what mood I was in myself.

"8 tonight for the Baby Elephant for four, and tell her 1 on Friday for that meeting please" I sighed and stood from my chair, checking my pockets I followed Steph out my office and to the elevator to leave for the day, I needed to prepare myself for tonight.

"Have a good night Harry," I nodded to Steph as the elevator doors closed and heavily leaned back against the wall and ran my hand over my face, how am I going to survive tonight?

A/N: Hey everyone, hoped you all had a lovely Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.

I love this chapter, and Chris!! Although he is going against his own son ... anyway I haven't pictured who would play him yet :/

Please comment, vote and share it means so much to me!!! The next update will be on the 30th of December, the last update of 2014.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, love you all xx