12. Before

Harry

Closing the door on Liam and Sophia I turn back into my very large and very lonely penthouse. I first bought the place with the intensions to share it with someone, but it ended up being me and George, and a string of models I couldn't remember or care less for.

Chloe was still wrapped up in the arm chair, a throw covering her small body she had curled into a ball as her gaze was set on the roaring fire with a nearly empty glass of wine in her grip.

George was curled at the base of the chair falling in and out of sleep as he usually would on cold winter nights. They both looked so peaceful I couldn't bear to disturb them, so I left the perfect scene my dreams always consisted of and walked down the only corridor in my penthouse, with serval doors leading to my bedroom, the guest bedroom, a bathroom and my home office.

Pushing the door open, I was met with my cherry wood desk in a mess. Papers were scattered everywhere but I didn't care like I usually would about the mess. The room was dark with the only light coming from the desk lap, but this room was usually light and airy but it felt dark and cold, sending an unwelcomed shiver down my spine.

I could see the file I wanted sat atop the mess with my glasses placed neatly on top with contrast to the rest of the mess underneath it. I walked from my stature in the door way and picked them both up, quickly leaving the room before I had the urge to clean it, and my OCD kicked in.

I wandered back into the living area, with the file and glasses in my grip. Making myself comfortable on the couch across from where Chloe or George hadn't moved from their positions. I deliberately sat here so I could watch her eyes slowly close over, and her breathing become even as she drifted off into a nap.

I wanted to scoop her up and place her into bed so she would be more comfortable, to offer her my clothes to sleep in. But I would be overstepping the mark and reduced my thoughts as her engagement ring caught the light emitting from the fire.

Seeing her sat there reminds me of the dreams I would have, of me sharing this place with her. What life would be like with her in the real world, and if it hadn't of all gone wrong.

I could picture myself walking through the front door after work, finding her sat across this sofa reading. Or her coming home and I would have cooked her favourite meal. Just the littlest things would mean so much.

I'd sometimes have visions of her as I looked around the place; it'd be such a happy and more personal home. I don't think the boys or myself understand how I live in such a large space with only me and a dog to occupy it.

If I ever had the chance of holding Chloe again there is no way in the world that I would let go. I know what I've lost and it's the biggest regret of my life.

My eyes move to the file in my hands and I place my glasses on my nose, and flip it open. It's the manuscript Chloe wishes to publish, I'm not usually one for reading romantic novels but she seems set on it and I can't afford to make any mistakes with this publishing house or having Chloe's first attempts shatter to pieces.

Her open and honest opinion to me about her thoughts on love surprised me. I wouldn't think she'd be so open. Her words were so meaningful and heartfelt. I felt as if she was pouring her soul open to me.

"only have experience heart break once"

I caused her that heartbreak and I felt the knife twist even deeper as she spoke those words to me.

She claims to love Leo, yet his father denies that her love for him is nothing like the love she had for me.

As I read the words of the book, I can't help but picture me and Chloe as the main characters. I fit the male part so well; I tricked Chloe into believing I could love her when all along I never actually knew what love meant. Did I?