26. Us

Harry ⭐

My wet feet left footprints on the decking to the back of my beach house in the Hamptons. I smelt of the sea and sand that had involuntary stuck to my legs and feet as I ran back up the sand.

I made it to the small outside shower that was set up by the small pool and hot tub, and cleaned myself from the salt water, pushing my hair off my face to let the water hit me.

I stepped out, shaking my hair and pushing it back again, picking the towel that had been laid out for me over the deck chair.

I made my way over to the French doors leading to the kitchen when my phone started ringing that was left on a deck chair with a bottle of water and a note from Emily, saying she had left for the day and that Chloe had received my present and the invitation to accompany me.

I smiled at the screen of my mum calling me and swiped the green answer button placing the phone against my ear to be greeted with her ever so cheerier voice.

"Hi mum, you alright?" I questioned her taking a seat on the end of the sun lounger facing the pool and looking over into the sea that was in between me and my mum.

"I called the office and went straight through to Steph and she told me you were in New York, why didn't you tell me?" She scowled, I still felt like I was 15 sometimes the way she expected to know but I know it's just because she cares and she is actually interested in my job.

"Erm work and pleasure mum, one more so than the other," I smirked to myself at the thought of Chloe slipping into that beautiful sliver gown.

"Pleasure with whom? Or do I not want to know?" I laughed and knew the look she would be pulling of disgust, she hated that I hadn't had a real relationship and just had casual flings. I think she wanted another girl to come into her home just so she and Robin could embarrass me.

"You know her, but she is also here for both work and pleasure." I toyed with my lip knowing that my mum will be racking her brain of all the women she knows, who could possibly be working with me as well as being my friend.

By the loud gasp I knew a lightbulb had appeared above her head and the small giggle of a school girl also informed me that she was happy that I was here with her.

"Chloe Spencer is in New York with you? Whoa Harry this is huge, but she's engaged right?" I knew Lilly would have told my mother, I had yet to come round to that.

When I told my mum that Chloe was working for my publishing house she was on the phone for an hour reminiscing about our good times together, and then warning me not to come on too strong to the girl and figure out my feelings before I started anything back up again.

I couldn't get a word in edge ways with her, and then she hung up when her timer went off proclaiming that her chocolate brownies were ready and she had to dash.

"Yeah she is, to my business partner, that’s actually why we are in New York, she's looking for a wedding dress." I didn't want that to be the reason, I hated that this is why we were ultimately here.

"So are you her maid of honour," my mum sniggered and I just huffed at my mums failed humour and dryly laughed to make her feel a little better. "Why you? I'm not being rude Harry, but where are all her friends?" I had questioned myself on that point but then I got the impression that she didn’t have many friends.

"I don't think she has many friends in London mum, I suggested for you or Gemma, or even Lilly to come but she insisted. We've gotten a lot closer lately." I mumbled the last part and was met by my mum’s disappointed sigh.

"It's good of you Harry to have gone with her, but I would have happily gone and I'm sure Gemma would love to see Chloe again and Lilly would do anything for a break." Then I had the best idea yet.