Chapter 8

POV Michael

I push the gas pedal as hard as I can, a roaring sound arise from the car. Fuck this shit. This feels so embarrassing. I couldn't even tell her the truth. I wanted to, but the words died in my mouth because I was afraid of her reaction. Scared she would turn her back on me again. Or worse, she would not believe me. I can't blame her though. We based our relationship on a lie. I knew we couldn't be together from the start, but my feelings for her were too strong to let her walk. After all those years, she never left my mind once.

Sofia Santos has changed into a beautiful woman. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw her again. Even in the darkness, I could see her feminine curves. Her perfect body and not to forget her perfect face. I had been too mesmerized to look away from it. She was pure perfection. But that dress and those heels should be forbidden for her to wear. I can imagine what all the men think of her. And not mention that mouth of hers.

I've always known she can be feisty sometimes, but tonight she just dominated me. She wasn't afraid, and didn't back down for me. Overwhelmed by her beauty and strong character, I became speechless. This never happened to me before with another woman.

Also, I've changed into a more masculine man. A man with power and money. Not that Sofia cares about money or power. She's independent and doesn't trust others easily. That hasn't changed, and I'm glad she's still the same person as seven years ago. Behind her protective posture, the Sofia I fell in love with is still present. I could see it in her eyes.

It only frustrates me I couldn't even talk to her normally. She blocked me off the entire time. Sofia hates me, and I can't blame her. I left her in the dark about everything. And she was right about everything. My whole life is one blur with too many secrets. In the car, she was inches away from me. She was close but far, like the moment she stepped in my car, she disappeared again. How did we go back to being strangers...

I park my car back in the parking lot in front of the school building and see someone leaving in his car. I compose myself for a moment and make my way inside. Laughter greets me in the dining room. The room was very crowded, like I thought it would be.

At the bar, I recognize Tom's blond hair and I march toward him. "Tom, how are you doing?" I greet him, friendly. "Oh man, what a surprise! I didn't know you would come?" Tom beams. "Yeah, it was time to show my face again after all those years," I inform him. "I'm glad to see you again, man." Tom pinches my shoulder in a friendly way.

"Didn't you see Sofia? She went outside half an hour ago?" Tom asked with a frown. "Her brother is outside looking for her," Tom adds. "Yeah, I brought her home," I tell him quickly, taking a glass of wine from the plate of a server. "You drove her home?" Tom questioned me sheepishly. "Yeah," I reply coldly, already feeling agitated by Tom's curious character. He was always a nosy type, but he has always been there for me. So it's fair I'm honest with him too.

"Wow, didn't see that coming for sure." Tom chuckles. "I thought she still hates you," Tom adds. "She still does," I answer carelessly while taking a huge gulp from my wine. I fucking hate wine. I turn myself to the bar and ask for a whisky. The server recognized my face and hurriedly made me a drink. "Thanks," I reply, turning myself back to Tom.

"So you're a busy man, I've heard," Tom tells me with a smirk on his face. "Yeah, I thought I told you about the hotels?" I question him with a frown. "Yeah, but since you called, you got another business as well." Tom adds. "Oh, you mean this." I reply coldly. "I bought the company from an old friend that needed some help." I tell him quickly. I can't tell Tom everything because it isn't the time to tell him from who I bought it. This information needs to stay in the dark for a little while until the time is right, everyone will know.

"Good for you, Michael. I'm glad you are doing great. I never thought to see you again in real life." Tom tells me honestly. "Yeah, I look better in real than on screen, huh?" I chuckle, trying to ease the subject. Tom chuckles at my response. "Come, I want to introduce you to someone." Tom gestures for me to come with him. I sigh and saunter behind him. A few familiar faces turn their heads, a curious look on their faces. It's like they have seen a ghost.

Tom lays his arm around a blonde, tall woman, whispering something in her ear. "Michael, I want to introduce you to my girlfriend Tessa." Tom grins. I extend my hand politely toward the young woman, but I only get a nasty glare off her. "Do you think I'll shake the hand of a man that broke my friend's heart?" She stammers angrily, marching away from Tom and I. "I'm so sorry, man." Tom answers, rushing behind his girlfriend like a puppy.

I shake my head in disbelief. Off course, she's the best friend of Sofia. Why the fuck did I show up to this stupid reunion in the first place. I knew most of them detest me. "Well, well, isn't it Michael Davis in real life!" Kai chuckles, a fake smile on his face. "Kai," I greet him coldly. "Haven't you seen our lovely Sofia outside? Isn't she gorgeous?" Kai asks mischievously. I glare at him and nod quickly. Kai has always been a dramatic type. "Make your point, because I know you won't talk for fun with me. None of you will." I tell firmly, eyeing the entire group. I recognize Anne instantly, still dressed extravagant as she always did.

I turn my gaze back to Kai. "You haven't shown your face for years and now you're here. I'm just curious that's all." Kai responds foully. "This is my catering business. I'm here because the school asked my catering business." I answer coldly. Everyone eyes each other curiously. Of course they didn't know that. "Of course, M-taste." Kai responds sheepishly. I nod, laughing in myself. They don't know a thing about me.

"It was nice seeing you all." I blurted firmly before turning my back. "Michael, wait." Anne called me. She rushes toward me and stands beside me like a lost lamb. "Michael, can I ask you something?" She asks me hesitantly. "I know it's none of my business, but I need to know the truth." She blurted nervously. I nod with a curious frown. "Are you here for Sofia?" She dropped the only question I wanted to keep for myself. Why does everyone think I'm here for her? Is it so obvious?

It's been seven years since they saw me for god's sakes. "Maybe," I answer with a smug face before marching toward the exit room, away from their awful moods and too curious questions. Let them think what they want because I don't care. The only thing that can help me with my mixed answers is that they are going to tell her. Maybe she'll contact me after hearing it, but knowing Sofia, I doubt it.

Before I walk into my car, Sydney who's dyed her hair red comes rushing toward me. "Michael Davis, it's been ages I've seen you." She smirks, pointing her chest in my view. She has always been a fucking slut, maybe I should treat her as a slut then. "Are you alone?" I ask her firmly. "Yes." She smiles seductively.

"Good, because that's what you deserve." I smirk, frustrated by her fake presence, and shove myself skilfully in my car. "Michael?" She squealed in question, doubting what she has to say or do. "Go away, Sydney. After all those years, you're still pathetic. Put on some normal clothes and bury your fake attitude for once maybe you'll find genuine love then." I inform her, closing my door roughly and driving off.

She isn't the only one being pathetic. That makes me even more angry because I know behind all this facade I'm the same person as seven years ago. I tried so hard to keep her out of my mind for the first years. University was a blessing and a curse at the same time. All those women desperately needing manly attention from me. How could I refuse them? I'm a guy with feelings too.

I don't feel sorry about that time because I know Sofia did the same thing. That was the worst part of all. I knew she would do it because she knew I would do the same. Sofia knew she had to move on without me. I didn't have a choice back then. I had to leave her and my life behind.

When I moved to New York, I've left my heart behind here in Oregon with the woman I love. Now things fall to place, it's time I take back what belongs to me. I want more than what we had.