Chapter 14

I sigh in relief. Home sweet home. This is just what I needed. A large popcorn on my lap and a lot of romantic Netflix series. I'm scrolling down the page, searching for another movie or series to watch, but a knock at the door interrupted my routine. Fuck, I'm not in the mood for visitors. It's like I'm a vampire, avoiding confrontation with the sun because it would physically hurt me.

"Coming," I yell and saunter to the door in my pj's. I open it to reveal a too excited Tessa. "What are you doing?" She frowns at me, eyeing me up and down. "Nothing, just watching Netflix," I tell her irritated, already hating her tone and disapproval. "Now? It's five o'clock?" She asked horrified. Over my shoulder, she peeks inside my apartment. "Sofia, are you serious? Eating popcorn as dinner?"

"Yes, best dinner ever," I smirk, opening the door in front of her. "Will you join me?" I ask her happily, my mood already changing because of the thought of seeing a movie with my best friend. "No, you will join me, my dearest friend." She grins. "It depends on your plans, my shittiest friend." I giggle.

"Thanks for the compliment, BFF!!" Tessa giggled. Luckily, we have a light relationship. We can bare a lot from each other and that makes us such good friends. We are always honest with each other, and I'm so happy with a friend like Tessa. "Tom is waiting in his car, so pull some sexy clothes on. We're going to grab a bite first." She orders me seriously. "And then?" I ask her with crooked eyebrows. Knowing Tessa, she has more upon her sleeve.

"There's a new club not too far from here, and we've been invited by Jerry. Come with us, pleeaaasssseeee????" Tessa begs. "Oh, Tess, I'm not in the mood. I'm tired." I whine, hoping she would let my sorrow ass alone. "You can sleep when you are dead. Come on, I'll help you." She yanks my arm in hers and the both of us storm into my bedroom. "Let's see," Tessa murmurs, shoving every piece of clothing aside with a doubtful expression.

"Don't you have anything sexy?" She questions me. "Sorry miss perfect, I love casual clothing, you know that," I answer frustrated. She shakes her head in disbelief and continues her search. "Yes, this will do." She smiles. "This? I don't think I can fit this dress. It's been years since I wore this one." I eye the dress in humiliation. "I remember, you have worn this the last time at Columbia High when we graduated," Tessa informs me. I nod silently.

"Look, it stretches a lot." Tessa pulls at the fabrics in every direction. I glare at her and yank the dress out of her hands and storm into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. "You are so agitated when you have returned from Oregon." I hear Tessa's voice behind the door.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be mean to you." I sigh, trying to wriggle myself in the green velvet dress with a high neck. "It's okay. I understand what you're going through, Sofia." She answers shortly. I sigh and pull my arms through the long sleeves. I smooth out every fold and look in the mirror. It still fits me perfectly. Opening the door, Tessa her mouth falls open. "You are to die for." She tells me in astonishment.

"Stop it, Tessa," I respond harshly. "What? Can't I say you look gorgeous!" She hisses. "Yes, but don't overreact. It's not like I'm a model or something." I inform her quickly. "No, you are so much better than a model." She winks playfully. "Yeah, yeah," I reply in a way to change the subject. I detest talking about myself and my body. It's still a subject that keeps me on edge because of my low self-esteem. My confidence has grown a lot, but sometimes I need a big push to get back in the right direction. And that's why I love Tessa. She can push me whenever I need to, without being afraid she'll stab me in the back like Miley has done so many times.

"Curls or straight hair?" She questioned me with crooked eyebrows. I was so busy thinking about how I felt, I almost forgot Tessa had sneaked beside me into my bathroom. With my hair straightener in her hand, she eyes me curiously. "Earth to Sofia?" She laughs.