Chapter 9

I'm eating my cereal like I always do. It's a habit I never have changed since I left my parents' house. Scrolling down on Facebook, mom enters the kitchen in her bathrobe. "Good morning, honey. How was the reunion?" She questioned me curiously, making herself a cup of coffee. I lay my phone on the table and scratch my neck hesitantly. "It was nice seeing everyone again," I explain mom quickly, trying to leave the most important part of the night aside. My night was terrible enough to relive each moment over and over again. My therapist instinct trying to analyze each word and facial expression of his too handsome face.

"Oh, I'm happy you enjoyed dear." Mom smiles warmly, seating herself across from me. I nod and smile nervously. Stop Sofia, act as normal as you can be because she sees right through your lies. "So, was everyone present?" Mom asked me curiously, her eyes fixated on my face. Fuck, she's digging to find some more information. Act normal, Sofia! "I haven't seen Miley, but she was probably late," I answer shortly, taking a huge bite of my cereal. Some things never change about people. "Actually, I was more referring to Michael sweetheart." Mom answers sheepishly and I swallow hard without biting properly. A huge cough leaves my mouth and I quickly leave the table, pouring myself a glass of water.

"I presume that was a yes." Mom replied dryly. "Mom! I don't want to talk about it!" I whine, frustrated while leaning against the kitchen counter. "I'm here for you, Sofia. It doesn't matter if you're five or twenty-five, you can always speak to your mother." Mom tells me firmly before standing up with her cup of coffee and leaving the kitchen. Is she angry at me? I sigh and lower myself back in my chair. Suddenly feeling not hungry anymore, I push the bowl a few inches away from me, leaning with my elbows on the table, my head in my hands.

I feel so stupid now. Why can't I even speak about him with my mother? It's already difficult to just say his name out loud. After all those years thinking I'm over him, my past comes crashing in like a slumbering disease that was asleep until I saw him yesterday. Now I can't think a second without him flashing through my mind. It's nerve-racking to know all of my efforts to ban him from my life are all in vain the moment I saw him again. He's like a weed, always finding a way back to annoy the hell out of people.

"Good morning," Cody greets me. He saunters into the kitchen with his PJ pants too low for my liking, his chest bare. "Gross Cody," I tell him annoyed. "What? If I want to walk naked in my house, I do as I please." Cody chuckles, messing in the drawer where the medicines are laying. "Here you are, my friend," Cody whispers mischievously. He takes two pills and swallows them with a large amount of water. "Headache?" I grin. "Yeah," He answers while stroking his temples. "I'm still mad at you though," Cody responds coldly. "Why?" I frown. "Because you didn't call me. Not to mention you lied to me yesterday." He tells me firmly, seating himself on the table.

I shake my head in disbelief. "What do you mean?" I ask him, irritated. How can he know I lied? "Fucking Davis brought you home." He mutters angrily. In shock, I look at him with gigantic eyes. "How do you know?" I ask hesitantly. "Because everyone knows by now. Davis told it to Finneck." He explains seriously. "Oh," I answer shortly, not knowing what to say about it. "You lost your tongue?" Cody smirks. "I thought you hated him," Cody answers with annoyance. "I do," I answer angrily. "So why did you let him drive you home then?" He asks me in astonishment. "Because he forced me. I wanted to walk home, but he thought it was too dangerous for a woman to walk at night on the streets by herself." I explain to him, folding my arms in defense.

"Did he hurt you?" Cody asked me with his dark brown eyes fixated on mine. "No, of course not. Do you think I would let him hurt me?" I tell him, frustrated. "The only good deed he did was bringing you home safely," Cody tells firmly, taking another gulp from his glass. I eye him curiously. Cody looked terrible this morning. "I thought you would go to sleep at your place?" I ask him curiously. "No, I went to a club with the rest. And no, he wasn't there." Cody smirks devilishly. "I don't care what he does, Cody!" I tell him firmly. Cody laughs at my frustrated expression. "So, how was the rest of the night?" I ask him curiously.

"You know, I know little about last night," Cody informs me sheepishly. "You were drunk, obviously," I add with a massive grin. "Yeah, well uhu, I have to tell you something but promise me you don't be mad. I did it because I was wasted." Cody tells me hesitantly. I frown at him and await his response patiently. "Well uh, I ..." He stopped dead in his tracks, his eyes located at a spot behind me. I frown and turn around. My smile faltered almost instantly. "What the fuck are you doing here!" I hiss angrily.

I turn myself back to Cody and glare at him. "I can't believe this!" I snap angrily. "I'm sorry, Sofia, it was all a mistake," Cody explained sheepishly. "A mistake?" I hear her asking. "Do you think I'm in love with you?" Cody asked, irritated. "Obviously not." Miley hissed. "Of course not, I was wasted. Do you think I would want something with the person who has talked nasty about my sister? Everyone knows you haven't changed since you're best buddies with Sydney. Like I said, this was a huge mistake. I'm still embarrassed about my own choices yesterday. You were lucky I was too drunk to think properly. But I think it's time you should leave." Cody tells her coldly.

"Are you for real? You just used me?" Miley snapped angrily. "I'm sure," Cody answers frustrated. "Sorry, Sofia," Cody admits softly. I can see he's embarrassed and I know my brother. If he drinks too much, he gets a blackout. There's a huge chance he doesn't know he brought her home. "It's okay," I reply shortly, turning my gaze back toward her. My former best friend. She's wearing a ridiculously short red dress. Of course, she hasn't changed one bit. Miley is even more pathetic than Sydney. They already got a bad name and now she has some nerve coming to my parents' house when she knows I'm here. Could this day get any worse?

"You haven't changed a bit, Miley, and I don't mean it as a compliment," I tell her firmly. "I'm not waiting for your compliments Sofia, I know how you feel about me and I don't care." She mutters angrily. "But the gossip about you and Michael interests me more. Is it true he fucked you in his car yesterday?" She smiles foully. In shock, I look at Cody who abruptly stops drinking from his glass. "How do you dare to come to my parents' house talking to me like that? If I had fucked him, I would have done it in front of your fucking face!" I hiss angrily.

Suddenly dad walks inside the room with a shocked look on his face. He must have heard me talking. Fuck, now I feel more ashamed of my manners. "What's all of this? Miley, you were the last one I imagined seeing you here?" Dad questioned with a frown. "Sorry mister Santos, I was just leaving." She purrs. I watch her leave the house like a hawk.

When she vanished outside the door, I turn my gaze back to Cody. "I'm so disappointed in you," I tell him angrily. "And I'm disappointed in you." He tells me roughly. "Do you think I did that with him? You want to believe a liar before your own blood?" I snap, frustrated. "No, no, I believe you," Cody mutters with a smug face. "Cody," I growl. "You're so exhausting sometimes," I whisper. "What the hell was all of that?" Dad tells us in frustration. "Cody, why did you bring her to our house? This isn't a bachelor house." Dad snaps, agitated. "I know like I had said. I was too wasted to think clearly. It won't happen again." Cody informs us.

"Hmm, I don't feel good." Cody stands up and rushes toward the restroom. I sigh and lower myself on the chair. "Sofia, your manners are terrible lately. What's the matter with you? You're always so hostile these days?" Dad questioned me curiously. "I don't know, dad. Everything is coming back to me. The past becomes reality again, and I can't seem to let my anger go whatsoever." I explain to him softly with my eyes downcast. "Do you know what you need?" Dad asks me, his hand resting on my shoulder. "What?" I ask him quietly.

"You need a day off with your mother." Dad smiles at me."Yeah, maybe you are right," I answer with enthusiasm. "Where is mom?"