34. If All Else Perished

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

He didn't want to let go of my hand

I didn't want to let go of his hand.

He didn't want to leave me.

I didn't want to leave him.

These were facts Megan kept gleefully exclaiming as we stood at the top of the staircase, unwilling to part ways.

After Jase and I had stood in the hallway for a considerable amount of time, doing nothing other than...I'm not sure hugging is the strongest word for it, but the most suitable nonetheless... Mother had eventually stepped out of the billiard room, interrupting the moment. She threw an amused look in our general direction, but otherwise ignored me. Good. Things are back to semi-normal again.

We had then wandered into the foyer - myself intent on going up to my room for some much-needed quiet time, but at that moment, Jamie, who was returning from the bathroom, took one look at me, grabbed my hand, and dragged me into the living room, where herself and Megan were watching... ugh.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

Still, at least there were chips. And chocolate.

Megan had given Jase and I one long, suggestive look, a smirk spreading across her face. I glared back at her, somewhat wishing the icy wall I had built up not long before hadn't shattered into dust at Jase's touch.

I sat through the agonizing, two-hour-long movie, sighing in exasperation whenever something infuriating happened, or whenever one of the characters did something completely stupid - like flying head-first, eye-closed into a freaking asteroid field.

I almost lost it when Ham or what-ever-his-name-is and Leia confessed their love.

"Where the hell did that come from?" I grumbled. "Where's the build-up? Where's the days of wooing and swooning?"

Megan had given me an amused look. "This isn't an eighteenth-century romance novel, Kriss."

Jase chuckled. I dug an elbow into his rib cage.