41. Angel of Death

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Do you ever learn something that seems like it knocks the entire world off of its axis? Something that seems like it could level mountains, destroy cities, and send the sky falling down around you?

A revelation, one that you should have seen coming, but you were so oblivious that it just rams into you like a bulldozer?

Something that changes everything?

My hands were shaking, violently shaking, as they clenched even more tightly around the paper crushed in my hand. The words on the paper swirled around in my head, replaying every moment, not allowing me a moment of relief to fully process just what this meant.

I warned you there would be consequences for defying me. Now, you must live with them.

There was no more guessing who was responsible for this. The question that had been plaguing me for days was no longer seeking an answer. I had one. And it rattled my very soul.

Doubts still circulated across my thoughts, small doubts, though they were overshadowed by the cold certainty spreading through me.

I don't believe it. It can't be. It just can't be. He wouldn't do that... right?

Anger was pulsing through me as I threw open the door to my bedroom. I heard it slam shut behind me, but I didn't give it another thought. I was on a mission.

I half-expected him to be waiting for me here, perhaps lounging against my bed like he's done in the past, or maybe shaking things up and sitting casually in one of my chairs. Though, in what I assumed his current temper was, standing in the middle of the room glaring in my general direction seemed more plausible. I had steeled myself for the possibility of dealing with an unhinged sociopath, but it seemed he wouldn't be coming for me.

Which meant that I had to go to him.

It would seem easier to simply avoid confronting him altogether. However, I knew if I did, it probably wouldn't end well. But ignoring him wouldn't do much better. In fact, his actions proved that ignoring him would most likely end with more deaths.