17. Sparks or Fire?

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

A white rose, presumably taken from one of the rose bushes out in the garden

A white rose, presumably taken from one of the rose bushes out in the garden. I stared at it incredulously, even though I've seen a rose before.

But I've never been offered one before. I thought people only did that in novels?

Wordlessly, I turned my gaze from the rose to Jase, who's grin had turned into a sheepish smile. "I hope you still like roses," he said. "I remember they used to be your favorite."

My hand automatically went up to the rose charm hung around my neck, presumably given to me by Ash. I'd have to ask him tonight, but who else could it be from? It had appeared mysteriously on my dresser between one moment and the next. It just screamed that this was the work of a ghost... or somebody like a ghost.

"Kriss," Jase said when I still didn't say a word. "Say something, please. I'm starting to look like a fool."

I was suddenly aware of the audience behind me, and I turned to face them. Megan looked like she was about to start laughing, of course, while Sophie looked awkward to be standing there during this novel-esc romantic gesture. And then there was Jamie - who wasn't paying us any attention at all, instead deciding that the small spider crawling along her arm was far more interesting. For her, it probably was - she was staring at it with obvious delight, thrilled to have a new friend. Sophie took one look at Jamie, paling, giving a nervous shake of her head.

"How can you let that thing crawl on you?" she asked, staring at Jamie.

"It's my new friend," Jamie responded. "It won't hurt me. See? It's harmless," she moved her hand closer to Sophie, to show her how harmless the little spider was, but Sophie jerked away. Megan, with a sigh, reached forward and flicked the spider off of Jamie's hand.

"Hey!" Jamie protested. "You've just committed murder! That's against the law, you know!"

"I'm sure the spider is fine," Megan said, grabbing Jamie's hand. "Now come - let's give these two lovebirds some space."