37. Dying Embers

Song: Think of Me from the musical The Phantom of the Opera.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

I dodged yet another maid standing smack-dab in the middle of the hallway, mopping

It was more crowded now than it had been just minutes before; it seemed as though the entire manor staff was busy with preparations. Besides the maids scattered around the house, varying in cleaning duties, there were people hired for the sole purpose of tightening the light bulbs. I tried not to grimace at the fact that Mother used money to hire people to do I job I'd do for free.

As much as I desired to grab a duster and assist with the cleansing, I had a much more important mission; I had to find some chocolate.

My supply has been stolen - whether the thief was Ash or the Ghost is yet to be discovered. Both were equally likely and unlikely. The Ghost can't exactly eat, but it also just killed somebody. I wouldn't cross it off of my list of chocolate-stealing suspects. As for Ash, he hates chocolate, but he's also rather upset with me at the moment. After all, he did threaten me...

I glanced warily around, searching for any sign of a certain green-eyed man. Because of Ash's ultimatum, I had to make a choice; cut off all of my ties with Jase, or face the consequences. The problem was, Ash never specified what the consequences are, meaning there's a chance I could leave things with Jase as they are and get away with only a minor slap on the wrist.

However, I don't think that's quite what Ash had in mind.

No, he had been practically seething with anger when he'd calmly whispered into my ear. Whatever he had planned, it most likely wasn't something I'd be able to get over easily.

Which is why I was struggling to figure out what I was going to do.

I can't cut off ties with Jase. We've just reconnected! We haven't even had the chance to figure out what all of the moments of awkwardness and sweetness between us means - though that's mostly my fault. If Jase had his way, I'm sure we'd already be standing at an altar by now, swearing out eternal love.