27. Sense and Sensibility

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Dinner was... tense.

All anybody wanted to talk about was Alie's mysterious disappearance, the note, and how aggressive this ghost was getting. And between the collapsed piano, Mr. Abrams's frequent scares, Ash's warning, and now this new incident, I can see how everybody would be getting more stressed out and afraid.

Because we don't know what's motivating the Ghost to scare us. We don't know what it wants. For all we know, it could go after me next, or Jamie, or Sophie, or Megan, or Mother...

Any one of us could be the next target.

I had sat in silence, forcing down my lasagna, wanting to get out of the second tense dinner I've had since I got here five days ago. Wishing for people to stop talking about something we couldn't change. The manor's resident demon had abducted Alie, and there was no way of really knowing where she is - or if she's even still alive.

This whole situation reminds me of the time Sokka was abducted by Hei Bai in The Last Airbender.

Better not say that out loud or I'll get some really weird looks.

Cordelia, of course, had no clue what had happened, having been out in Plattsburgh at the time, so Megan had filled her and Pipes in as we ate - being completely blunt, of course, leaving out no details, recounting exactly what she had thought at specific moments.

Mother and Mrs. Green didn't show up to eat at all, choosing instead to be in the study to discuss the best way to deal with this... situation, as Mother kept calling it. They kept mentioning contacting the police, but what I really think we need is an exorcist.

Though I knew better than to say that out loud. As strained as the relationship between Mother and I was, I know where my boundaries are. I've already threatened her enough today, anyways; Ash even flickered the lights and made the bookshelf quake, which kind of scared me, but accentuated my point nonetheless.

All through dinner, I was counting down the minutes until I can see him again.

And it's almost time. Just a bit longer...