24. Disappear

~ Julienne Lanster ~

I smiled softly to myself as I scrubbed the dishes clean, putting them on the drying rack once all the suds and gross, wet food was free from the glass surfaces

"You're in a good mood," Steph commented as she grabbed a plate from the drying rack and wiped over it with a towel, thoroughly drying it before placing it back in the cupboard where it belonged.

"I'm always in a good mood," I said idly, grabbing a frying pan from the sink that still had bits of omelet stuck to it. At least it's not wet bread. Wet bread is disgusting.

"Please," Steph said. "You're doing everything but skipping around the garden picking flowers like Jamie does. You're clearly not in an average good mood."

"I don't know what to say," I stuck the frying pan into the drying rack, checking to make sure it didn't topple over, then reach into the sink and started cleaning a bunch of forks. "It's a beautiful day outside."

Steph glanced out the window, seeing the sun shining in the early afternoon light, though there were a few clouds on the horizon... but they wouldn't obscure the sun until later, not for another hour or two, at least.

"You were whistling when I came in," Steph started drying the frying pan as I placed the forks down. "You never whistle."

I shrugged, pulling the plug on the sink and allowing the water to spiral down the drain. "I don't know what to tell you," I said. "I'm just in a good mood..."

Steph pulled open a drawer, covered the frying pan with a cloth to prevent scratches, and placed it carefully inside. Standing up straight, she frowned, gave me a long look, and then smiled knowingly. "Right..." she said slyly. "And this new fantastic mood of yours doesn't have anything to do with the meeting I told you to set up last night?"

"What meeting?" I said, smiling, as I knew she knew exactly what she was talking about.

"The late-night rendezvous in the drawing-room with Sophie? Orange hair, blue eyes, pretty, ring any bells?" Steph put a hand on her hip, throwing me a teasing smile.