13. Theatrical Memories

Song: Heaven on Their Minds from the musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

My heart is pounding

My head is spinning.

My lungs are restricting.

I stood outside of the theater, staring absently at the entrance, too afraid to move. I could hardly breathe. I felt like I was going to throw up. Or pass out. Or both.

I can't do this.

I could just walk away now. My car was parked just down the block. I could drive back to the manor and never step foot inside of this building again. Everybody would understand.

I'm not ready.

I started shaking.

I grew numb with cold.

I felt the memories I tried to keep locked away fight to be let loose.

I can't do this.

The last time I was here was over two years ago, after the closing night of The Magic Flute, a German opera written by Mozart in 1791, where I played Pamina, the daughter of the Queen of the Night. She was definitely one of my favorites roles I've gotten. Unlike most operas, The Magic Flute contains sections of spoken dialogue, rather than being entirely sung-through.

Not relevant to the current situation, but thinking through specific facts on the opera seemed to be taking parts of my mind off of my fear.

Many things within the theater could trigger helpful, factual memories. Maybe I'd come across some of the props from Faust, or Les Mis. Maybe I'd find some of my old costumes still in my old dressing room. I knew Mother refused to give it to somebody else, out of the hope that I'd one day return.

Maybe I can do this.

Jase was standing silently next to me, watching me carefully, giving me space to decide if I would take the leap and cross over the threshold into the place that's haunted my every thought for two years.