16. Winding Down

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

My heart was still pounding

It stuttered and bounced around in my chest whenever I so much as glanced at Jase, which was often as we left the theater; the shamrock color of his gaze drawing my attention, like a beautiful flower you just can't look away from. He kept shooting Weston annoyed glares as we headed down the sidewalk, where the cars were parked.

Shall I reboot your memory, then?

I had no idea where that moment in the dressing room had come from; it seemed to have dropped in out of nowhere, like the tornado in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I didn't know what this meant. I didn't know where this could go.

I didn't know how Ash would react.

I heard the jealous and possessive tone in his voice last night, before he brought me to his apartment, when I spoke about Jase. I had said we were only friends, but obviously, Jase doesn't see it that way - and he doesn't know about Ash. He doesn't know to hide away his feelings. I tried keeping mine locked away in the small box in my head, along with the rest of my memories, but they escaped. And they're being awfully elusive - they won't go back into the box.

Can I get you flustered, again?

The problem was, at the time, I had no thoughts of Ash floating around my head. My surprising realization that contact with Jase kept my mind at ease too had chased them away. They hadn't returned even as Jase was drawing closer to me, determined to get me to admit how he's been close to the center of my thoughts for the past five years.

But the moment Weston messaged Jase, Ash took that center spot. His voice, alluring and powerful, filled my ears. His mesmerizing eyes, silver and intoxicating, blinded my vision.

But every time I so much as saw Jase out of the corner of my eye, Ash's silver eyes turned green, and his commanding voice turned flirtatious, even as his song danced through my head.

Confusion rushed through me. It's not like me to think about men, let alone two.

Megan prodded my arm, getting me out of my head.