42. No More Talk of Darkness

Song: All I Ask of You from the musical The Phantom of the Opera.

~ Jase Charlton ~

~ Jase Charlton ~

I cannot get into this book

I'd been trying, desperately, for nearly an hour. I needed to calm the storm of thoughts swirling around my mind, wondering why, oh why, Kriss had looked at me like that.

Her face filled my vision yet again, blocking out the words I was attempting to make sense of. She'd been shaking, pale, her hands trembling as they closed around that slip of paper Mrs. Green had passed her. I'd thought it had been from grief, the suddenness and shock of Mr. Abrams' death, but then she'd looked up at me, every pore of her body seeming to seep with murderous rage.

She'd snapped at me, told me to leave her alone, and took off down the corridor, muttering to herself. I had stared after her as she rounded the corner, disappearing into the gallery, wondering what on earth had happened.

Did I do something?

Not long before that, she'd seemed... happy. Okay, maybe not quite happy, but, then again, Kriss was rarely happy, in the greatest sense of the word. She'd been less melancholy than usual. She had kissed me, and enjoyed it, too. I could tell. Though there were many times over the past week where we've nearly kissed, it was always I who had initiated it, and it had always ended with Kriss backing away, confused, and a sudden awkwardness between us.

But today... she didn't seem confused. She had looked as though she'd come to a major decision. She'd explained that she had been trying to be selfless, pushing me away to keep me from entering the constant pain of her life...

But then, she'd said, she was going to be selfish, for once in her life.

I'm done being selfless.

But what had changed, in the small span of time between then and when she'd marched away from me, leaving a black mood of despair in her wake?

I told her that I love her. Actually, I had said it twice.