36. Words of Warning

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

What... what the hell just happened?

Ash had left, after one last long, lingering, scorching look, and then, without another word, disappeared through the tunnel behind the mirror, leaving me standing there, trying to comprehend exactly what he said.

I want you to cut off all ties with Jase. I want you to terminate your relationship with him.

That part was crystal clear. The possessive glint in his eyes as he said those words flashed across my vision over and over again. I still felt the aftereffects of his burning touch on my wrist.

But why? Why should I end my relationship with Jase? This was assuming Ash meant both the weird flirty one and the platonic one. But what harm would our friendship do? I could restrain myself from being anything other than Jase's friend, right?

I halted my thoughts. What? Since when was I acknowledging the rekindling of my feelings for Jase? It seems to have slipped into my mind, unseen, a seed that's grown aggressively quickly, for a plant. A seed that may have been planted by Jase himself - not consciously. I think.

Of course, Ash hadn't exactly helped matters, either, by asking me again and again about my true relationship with Jase. And the more I claimed we were simply friends, the more it seemed like I wasn't exactly telling the truth.

Then Ash accused me of lying.

And he was right.

Unfortunately, his bringing up the subject of Jase again made me lose my head. Thus resulting in the ultimatum I've been given.

If you don't do as I ask, the consequences will be on your shoulders.

But what are the consequences? No more singing? I think Ash made it quite clear he had no intention of letting our relationship end. Would he stop hunting the Ghost?

Had he even been hunting the Ghost in the first place?

I shook my head. No. I had believed Ash when he said he was looking for the Ghost to figure out its motive for killing Alie. There was no reason for him to lie about that... right?