01. Homeward Bound

Song: Overture from the musical The Phantom of the Opera. Literally my favourite instrumental piece of all time.

 Literally my favourite instrumental piece of all time

~ Kriss Darcy ~

If I'd known the pain and chaos that would happen as a result, I never would have gone back

I put the final box in the trunk, quickly closing the door so nothing would escape. Brushing dust off of my jeans, I turned to face Megan, my roommate and best friend, who was, of course, not paying the least bit of attention to me.

Currently, she was fervently kissing her boyfriend, Carl, who, in my opinion, had about as much sex appeal as a cold, wet towel. But nonetheless, he'd been dating Megan for nine months now, and she seemed to find something appealing about him that I just couldn't seem to see.

But what is it?

Fortunately for me, I'd grown so immune to the passionate make-out sessions that seemed to enrapture them that instead of averting my eyes in horror, I rolled them and picked up a small rock to throw at Carl's unappealing horse-like face before this could escalate any further.

The rock landed smack-dab on Carl's shoulder. He flinched and glared at me.

"What the hell was that for?" he snapped, breaking away from Megan for a heartbeat to send me a glare.

"Get your hooves off of my best friend," I shot back, gifting him with a sweet smile.

He rolled his eyes, apparently deciding to ignore me, and turned his attention back to Megan - or rather, her lips.

"Come on, Megs!" I shouted, picking up another rock and tossing it so it bounced off the rim of Carl's hat, which sat backward on his head. "We need to go!"

Letting out a small laugh, Megan broke away from Carl, her black hair coming free from its ponytail, as she turned and stuck out her tongue at me. "All right!" she called back. "Just one more minute!"

"I've given you a minute!" I said, exasperated, feeling like a mother telling her child to just get into the damn car so we can get moving. Megan - the child in this scenario - let out a sigh of defeat, gave Carl one last peck on the cheek - gross - and danced her way over to me, her cheeks flushed and her grey eyes bright.