45. In Memoriam

~ Jamie Barns ~

~ Jamie Barns ~

I absolutely adore unicorns

They are, of course, the best animal to be conjured up by the human mind. No, I don't believe in unicorns. Has anybody alive ever seen a real unicorn? No. Has there ever been proof that unicorns were real? No. Are they simply a matter of make-believe, like the loch ness monster and dragons? Yes.

I rest my case.

I know I don't have a fairy godmother, because I've dreamt about her. She has yet to appear when I'm awake. And if she were going to, she would have by now. To stop the bad things from happening.

However, there is one thing I know that definitely exists.

Ghosties.

The lost spirits of the dead are, in fact, real, and everybody here knows it. They haunt the walls of the manor, preying on the living, showing no mercy to anyone. There are those who believed, and those who didn't. There are those who didn't watch their backs enough, and paid the price.

Alie, dear, sweet Alie, didn't look behind her enough. She wasn't aware of what was lurking in the darkness of the storage closet. She ended up strangled, her body dumped into the pond like common trash, leaving it for me to find.

Mr. Abrams, who understood me more than anybody else here, who was like a third father to me, believed in ghosties. He ended up obsessively hunting them, enraging one enough to incur its wrath and end up strangled, his body left in the hallway where he died, leaving it for Cordelia to find.

And now there's Kriss, my adopted sister and one of my closest friends. She didn't believe in ghosties, until the proof started stacking up against her. She ended up doing something to gain the attention of the vengeful ghostie, and now she might be its next target. She needs to get out of here, and fast. If not, then who will be the one to find her strangled body? Megan? Jase? Sarah?

I don't think I could take it if somebody else died.

The wind blew bitterly across the grass, bringing with it the promise of more rain. On the horizon, clouds were gathering, dark, murderous storm clouds. Overhead, however, it was perfectly sunny, the warmth of the late May day only just beginning.